ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts From Saturday after Film Review

jhead34382

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2007
For those that are use to and prefer me being positive in most posts, this probably isn’t the thread for you. I’m only going to talk about what I saw in the game after a second look at the tape, and won’t discuss anything that poormouths an individual player or coach. That said, here’s what I saw:

1. The OL got whipped and spun around all night long from a variety of twists, stunts, blitzes and varying fronts. It was as bad a performance as I can remember from that group as a whole, and that’s not even accounting for the focus penalties (false starts, holdings, etc) and Brandon Council’s absolute cheap shot unnecessary roughness penalty.

2. Our defensive front 7 just got emasculated in the second half. Poor, poor run fits by the LBs, and our DLine gap integrity was lackluster at best. The pass rush was inconsistent in the first half, and straight disappeared in the second half.

3. WR and DB play was actually okay. Not great, not bad, but somewhere in between and around average. WRs created some separation and made some difficult catches, but Shed had a costly fumble in the first half that killed a drive and overall there were no gamebreaking plays. DBs played tighter coverage and mixed looks better than in the previous two weeks, but the lack of turnovers and pass breakups keeps this grade down.

4. Overall QB play wasn’t terrible given the pressure they were underneath all game, but decision making by both guys was flawed and mistake prone. Both had some decent moments in the game, but bad decisions and turnovers will kill any offense and that was true of us on Saturday.

5. Lack of adjustments by the coaching staff offensively was outright alarming. We had no answers when Manny Diaz brought various pressures in the second half, and if I’m bring honest I thought the game plan for how we chose to attack Penn State’s defense was subpar.

Defensively they got us out of position in first half with the quick game (LBs over pursued and got out of position) and then in the second half just gashed us in the run game. If we play like that against UGA its going to be a name your score game.

Well thats all I’ve got, and I’m just not sure what to expect when we line up to play Missouri this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News