ADVERTISEMENT

The short and sweet from the Orion Amphitheater experience last night...

Archie

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2002
Huntsville, AL
1. I'm getting old (you knew that, I'm just discovering it)....sitting 6+ hours (5 hours and 7 minutes of music) on hard ass fake plank seats is not a lot of fun. Not the fault of the new venue or any venue, for that matter...but not sure I'll do that again in my lifetime. 2-3 hour concerts by 1 or 2 artists will be my thing from now on....well, except for a return trip tonight (if it doesn't rain). I'll do more standing, walking, and exploring tonight.

2. Speaking of exploring.....how in Hell did I not know there is a Sky Bar in the Orion?!?!?! I knew I wouldn't see everything the first night but can't believe I missed the Sky Bar. Apparently it's near or at the top of the amphitheater looking down on the entire complex, with at least a dozen bartenders moving things along so you don't miss much concert action. I'll check that bar out tonight.

3. I spent a lot of money at 3 bars last night....Murphy's Law, Isadora's, and the Teal Monkey. More to check out tonight, including the Sky Bar....but I'll need to remember to take my phone again because they don't take cash for anything inside the Orion....just digital dollars, like Apple Pay....or credit cards.

4. Everything is expensive inside the Orion....including water and wine and beer. Get over it....it's not going to change.

5. The No Smoking policy apparently doesn't mean no smoking. Although you can leave the complex and return at will....and smoke or eat and drink at the food trucks outside...by 11:00PM last night it seemed like 1/3 of the crowd was smoking....something or another.

Get over that, too, I guess.....didn't see any of the event staff enforcing the policy.....and there are legions of Event Staff there, most standing around watching the concert. My daughter actually said, "Hey, dad, looks like a great part time job in your retirement....just stand around and watch all the concerts that come through here and get paid to do it."

6. The traffic flow into and out of the geographically tight and restricted area of MidCity where the Orion sits was not as bad as I had anticipated. No problems getting in or parking....prepaid parking with an App....and getting out after midnight when everybody was trying to exit at the same time was not a problem. Our designated driver, my 18 years old granddaughter, got us out of there with ease and we were home 20 minutes after the concert ended.

7. The sound was fantastic. They know what they are doing at this facility where sound is concerned.

8. Enjoyed all the acts last night (but admittedly enjoyed Waxahatchee less than the others)....but was reminded when Jason Isbell and his band started playing about how much better his band is and he is than anybody I've seen play in the last 10-15 years. And last night.....just incredible. Don't know how to describe it. You probably just had to be there.

9. All in all a great first time experience. Not perfect....but still a special evening. I'll go back often....but probably not for a 5+ hour event.

10. Once again, it's expensive inside the Orion (to eat or drink anything). And they don't do cash.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News