ADVERTISEMENT

The Freeze Roster Overhaul and Where It Puts AU Football

hunter48

BUNKER'S BEST POSTER
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2008
Up there, in them trees.
Let’s start with the most important position:
QB-Thorne is, at worst, the 6th best QB in the SEC when you look at the league’s projected starters. Whereas AU’s QB room prior to Thorne was probably bottom 2.

WR-AU brought in more career production in three players Mardner, Shorter, Hooks, than what existed on the entire roster. These bigger receivers may struggle to get separation to the same degree against SEC corners, BUT they offer the size and verticality that AU lacked and should get more 1-on-1 opportunities in an RPO based scheme.

TE-The room was good, but Fairweather has an elite athletic skill set that AU lacked there. He may be the most impactful transfer outside of Thorne. RPOs and playaction shots in the seam will be where he makes money.

OL-Complete overhaul. Wade is an NFL player-he compares favorably in terms of athleticism and execution to Broderick Jones just smaller-as is Jones at Center. Britton is the one I’m least sold on, but the scheme not being dropback heavy like WKU was May help in avoid frequent isolation bs SEC edge players.

DL-MNK was a steal, he won’t wow with stats but he’s a warrior who will create opportunities for others in the pressure scheme. Anxious to see if Rogers plays up to his potential. McLeod(sp?) will be the teams best pass rusher and combine with McCallister (who anchors well vs the run) to essentially form one complete player.

LB-Second biggest upgrade on team. Keys and Nixon are a big, physical tandem that will upgrade the run defense exponentially from game one. Tolan is an asset as a dime backer that can cover and pressure with speed on passing downs.

All in all, the floor was probably 3 wins with the roster CHF inherited. Now this is at worst a mid tier bowl team IMO. If the other “issues” are resolved, and this team is at full strength, the ceiling may be higher than we expect with the amount of turnover in the conference. I’m not a transfer portal fan, BUT it has allowed a roster rebuild in a short time line I’ve never seen before at AU. If it weren’t for Travis Hunter’s inflated ranking at CU, this would be the best/most complete CFB portal class by anyone, to date. USC’s was great last year, but only bc of two players-Williams and Addison.

I think this is a 7-8 win team as of now, and could wind up being 2 wins better if the ball bounces AU’s way a few times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News