ADVERTISEMENT

The average Auburn fan ...

Bassman

GEN. COUNSEL
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
SoWeGa
is incredibly sentimental about Auburn, and all things affiliated with Auburn. They *believe* that Auburn is indeed different, and that our assertion of family isn't just a recruiting tactic or a pithy slogan. They manifest that Auburn people can earn an almost untouchable place within the family, and once they achieve that sacred cow status, they can do almost nothing to lose it. As such, they react somewhat illogically to perceived slights to those sacred cows, and they'll defend them unironically until the cows come home.

If the current HC of Auburn football gets rid of one or more of these kinds of persons, there will be an immediate blowback that won't subside any time in the near future. Freeze is already walking a razor's edge, which wouldn't be problematic for any of us except for the fact that it seems at times that he's totally unaware of it. That's disconcerting.

I was one of those that supported Harsin when obvious cracks had already begun to form. I ignored them, rationalized them, redirected them to other actors.

I won't do the same with Coach Freeze, at least internally. It doesn't help as a fan to whine constantly about a coach because they're not going to improve substantially at this stage of their lives. They are what they are. They can learn better personnel management; how and when to micromanage, for instance, but they can't change who they are and what they individually bring to the table. IOW, the building blocks must all be there for it to work.

This was Coach Freeze's first season. On the field, it was remarkably akin to Coach Harsin's first year. In recruiting, obviously Freeze has run circles around any efforts Harsin made. We naturally want to hang our hats on that but there's enough on the field squalor that we can't allow ourselves the luxury of assuming it'll all come correct in due time.

We will either believe or refuse to believe. Because it's healthier for me to believe we're on the right track, that's what I'm going to do.

When heads roll, maybe even the heads of sacred cows, I'll try very hard to remember that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News