The Athletic College Hoops Coaching Tiers

MattAU05

'FULL HOUSE' FAN
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Daphne, AL
Here is a link for those who have a subscription:

For those who don't, I'll give Tier 1 and 2 (it is just in alphabetical order):
[Edit: Looks like some of the formatting and pictures didn't pull over, but I don't think it really causes any issues.]

TIER ONE

COACHTEAM
Tony BennettVirginia
John CalipariKentucky
Scott DrewBaylor
Mark FewGonzaga
Tom IzzoMichigan State
Rick PitinoIona
Kelvin SampsonHouston
Bill SelfKansas

TIER 2

Dana AltmanOregon
Rick BarnesTennessee
Chris BeardTexas
Ed CooleyProvidence
Mick CroninUCLA
Leonard HamiltonFlorida State
Sean MillerXavier
Eric MusselmanArkansas
Matt PainterPurdue
Bruce PearlAuburn

They said the following about Bruce:

"Likewise, does the comparison game favor Auburn’s Bruce Pearl? “Kelvin has done a great job, but is he any different than Pearl?” an agent asked. Well, Pearl has won nearly 67 percent of his games with 11 NCAA Tournament bids and one Final Four appearance. Sampson has won 67 percent of his games with 18 NCAA Tournament bids and one Final Four. Eye of the beholder stuff."

Also, in a mailbag following the tiers, they dropped this (https://theathletic.com/3641663/2022/09/30/best-college-basketball-coaches-mens-mailbag/):

Which coach from Tier 2A is most likely to win a title next, and which one has probably seen his best chance go by? – Dan K.

Dana:
There are a ton of good options — Eric Musselman, Matt Painter, Chris Beard — but if I’m picking one, I’m picking Bruce Pearl. He’s already proven he can recruit traditionally, and he’s managing the transfer portal well, too. Beyond all of that, though, there’s the biggest factor of all: He’s a really good coach. As in exceptionally good. Remove the transgressions, and his resume is ridiculously impressive. He wins everywhere he goes, including at places that don’t traditionally win (Hello, Auburn!), and while getting good players is the key to success, knowing what to do with them helps as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News