ADVERTISEMENT

That is what losing to an elite team is supposed to look like when you're completely outmanned.

murray_hitchock

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2020
I know a lot of you are very much into "numbers". While I think they can provide useful supplemental information, I have never thought of football as a numbers game. Rather, it is a "moments" game, where one or two instances of a team seizing the moment can overcome an otherwise sub-par outing. I feel the game has always been this way.

When you think of the game in this manner, you also avoid a world of butthurt when you take a glance at our "numbers". I understand this is the sixth consecutive game against a Power Five team in which we have failed to throw for 100 yards. What if you knew before the game that Auburn would throw for less than 100 yards? Numbers people would say Georgia probably wins by four touchdowns.

But that didn't happen, because we won some very key moments. Namely, two big turnovers, a long run by PT, and a big kick return. Out of around 140 plays, those four plays kept Auburn in the game, despite displaying incompetence in several other plays.

The same goes for Georgia, as well. Georgia turned the ball over twice, and nearly turned it over again, but by winning big moments late in the game, they found a way to win. Why were they able to seize more moments than Auburn, or at least more meaningful moments? Because they have better players.

The outcome of a close football game always comes down to a handful of moments. The importance of these moments are weighted by how late they take place in the game, i.e. seizing a moment in the 4th quarter of a tight ball game is more meaningful than seizing one in the 1st quarter. Auburn seized a few early moments because they have heart, they were at home, they played well, and they were well-prepared. But Georgia seized the more important moments (the ones late in the game) because they simply have better players, including a generational and transcendent talent at Tight End that most NFL teams would have trouble covering. Essentially, Auburn played so well that it took a generational talent to beat them. I have no complaints, considering the overall quality of our roster.

Very proud of the kids, the coaches, the fans, and the program in general. Yesterday hurt because it reminds you of when they were elite, when we were the ones who were winning those 4th quarter moments. We'll be back, and I honestly believe we're closer than anyone might think we are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News