ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving smoked turkey help. I'm doing a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving but one thing

auburnra

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
that always gives me trouble is the skin peeling away from the meat, making it look like I'm serving up a Freddie Kruger turkey.

Any suggestions on how to keep the skin from shrinking so it doesn't split and pull away from the meat?

Preciate it!

For your troubles.....

While it doesn't look terrific, the bird itself is some of the most delicious turkey you'll ever eat.... here's why.

2 days before cooking I brine it (just look up any brine it doesn't matter). This is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. It infuses the bird with salty liquid that keeps the bird juicy and flavorful.
before cooking I make a seasoned butter, filled with all kinds of poultry spices and fresh rosmary.
I work it in every opening of the bird, all over the outside of the skin and under the skin as well. ( I wonder if me separating the tissues between the meat and the skin when I'm adding the butter is the reason it pulls away and shrinks?)
I put a few things in the cavity of the bird, some apple, celery and rosemary.... don't stuff it too full because you want the smoke to penetrate there as well.
I put on the smoker @ 275. Sitting on the middle rack with a pan of low sodium chicken and vegetable broth below it to provide moisture and catch the drippings. (used for gravy and dressing)
I use apple wood and oak to smoke... maybe a touch of mesquite.

I do baste as I go, and tent the turkey with aluminum foil once the top of the bird starts to brown.
Cook to temp, let it sit for about a half hour before carving, then enjoy some of the best turkey you've ever eaten.

I've got the flavor part down.... just wished it didn't look so scarred up. Thanks for any suggestions, and hope some of my suggestions help.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News