ADVERTISEMENT

**Spring Game/Spring Football Takeaways**

hunter48

BUNKER'S BEST POSTER
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2008
Up there, in them trees.
There isn't MUCH to be taken from A-Day alone, as the weather was incliment, the format was ver scripted calling specific plays vs specific plays, and with it being televised much was held back.

1-The ceiling with RA at QB MIGHT be a bowl team, 6-7 wins. He will be very effective in the run portion of this offense, and could open up things for Hunter/Alston, but his inability to make the most routine throws necessary to keep the offense moving is a crippling detriment. THUS, I see two QBs coming from the portal within the next six weeks. One that can compete now and one that could be a wild card based on potential.

2-Alston is an SEC back. He gives a great 1-2 punch with Hunter. He does everything well, pass pro, reading blocks, running with pad level, and he has an outstanding zone cut that lets him rip off chunk plays when defenses over pursue. (he killed McCallister with one Saturday)

3-The receiver room is weaker than I expected, and seeing it first hand at practices, then again on ADay made it that much more emphatic. The big receivers, Mardner and King are inconsistent, don't effectively play with their length, and lack explosion. Brown has potential; Johnson, Fair, and Dawson are all effective slot options.....but that's it. I see a lot of Two TE- 12 Personnel- sets with one slot and one perimeter reciever on the horizon....the need for an explosive perimeter player from the portal is evident. HS recrutiting is going full tilt towards that position group.

4-The OL is "better" but not great. Wade is very effective in pass pro, gets overwhelmed by stronger DL in the run game. Wright (when healthy) and Jones win at the point of attack inside. Lew looked to be the best option at the other guard spot, and does things technically that a freshman shouldnt do, and he plays way stronger than his size. Britton is still a question mark to me, but less of one that who he replaced.

5-TE is a strenght, and this offensive scheme is going to make Fairweather some NFL money.

6-LBS are better, Keys reads and fits the run better than anyone on the roster from last year, he and Woodyard should be the starting 2 based on the data so far. Tolan and Asante offer "run and tackle" options for pass down and 2 minute situations, or teams that play with 10 personnel and don't utlilze gap scheme runs that could over whelm them at the point of attack. This group isn't great, but they already fit the run much better than they did at any point last season.

7-MNK is a bigger pick up that I anticpated, that dude is pitbull. He plays needle in the red all the time. Marcus Harris may be ALL-SEC this time around. M'Ba is progressing well. The two big NTs have disspointed every time I've watched them this spring. Hopefully they improve.

8-EDGE is rhetorically worrisome. Faulk will eventually be an absolute monster, but going from 3A football to the SEC West is a hellvua jump. McCallister is strong at the point of attack, understands his concepts, but has no explosiveness to his game. He's a lunch bucket guy, he's a winning depth guy, but not an impact guy. I expect to see Kam Riley moved to EDGE and play effectively there.

9-Secondary is a strength. Lee plays like an upper classman already. Scott is a two position ball-hawk. Pritchett can now work more in the slot where he is at his best. Wooten might be the most eager to learn and coachable college kid I've seen up close, he's fanatical about getting better, and has a big athletic skill set for a safety. If DJ James decides he likes to tackle, he could be one of the SEC's best.

10-The offensive scheme creates a lot of conflict, and you can see the plays that are "there" even in this simplistic variation that we've seen through the spring. Executing the things that are "there" is something a good team does. This team doesn't do that yet. I like what HF and Monty are doing offensively, but they needs guys that can get it done.

**This team has physically improved, and now has a coaching staff that is all on the same page. That in itself should be worth 1 to 2 more wins. IMO it's 3 pieces away from being competitive for a top 2 spot in the division. BUT, with those three being a QB, a Pass Rusher, and a go-to WR, they may not be able to get those necessary players this go-round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News