ADVERTISEMENT

Some Warm Takes on CFB Week 1 Games

yy4u

First Round Draft Pick
Jan 12, 2007
I enjoyed the opening games, and spread out over 5 days. Some especially good regional matchups.

1. Fire the ST Coach! - At least two teams lost because of their poor play by Special Teams. Of, course LSU had two muffed punts, and two blocked kicks in a 1-point loss to FSU. And East Carolina gave up a TD on a blocked punt, and then missed an extra point in the 4th quarter, and a last minute FG in 1-point loss to NCSt. It is the little things.......TWSS!

2. Won or Lost - Going back to last night’s game, did FSU win it, or did LSU lose it? It seemed that most of the game, neither team was trying to win. From coaching blunders, mental errors by players (muffs, ejection), and a player quitting mid-game (Boutte), it was a comedy and a tragedy all in one. FSU was gifted two muffed punts in the red zone, but bungled both chances to score points with some coaching blunders.

3. Build a Statue of The Punter! - No doubt that the Iowa Punter was the game MVP in a 7-3 win over FCS foe South Dakota State. In a game with no TD’s, the Hawkeyes subscribed to the offensive strategy “Live To Punt” with 10 punts. 5 of those pinning SDS inside the 20, and a couple inside the 10. This strategy led to two 2nd-half defensive scores on safeties for the margin of victory. It was the lowest score by a winning B10 team since Iowa beat PSU 6-4 en route to a B10 championship in 2004. The game score was 5-3 until late in the game. The last time a game ended 5-3 was 42 years ago, when Iowa lost to Arizona. Is Ferentz on our Coach Hot Board yet?

4. Parity or Parody? - it is clearly obvious that two SEC teams have hoarded the bulk of the top talent. Ohio St is a distant 3rd behind our two biggest rivals uat and uga. If you can get past that fact, the rest of the teams seem to be mostly alike. Woe Eagle.......

5. Regional Flavor - I enjoyed seeing VT at ODU, NCS at ECar, and UNC at App St. One upset, and two 1-point last second losses. Parity gives good games, and regional rivals add tasty flavor. Good for CFB imo. Also enjoyed seeing the renewal of The Backyard Brawl after a 15-year hiatus.

6. Best Uniforms - The one that stood out to me was Purdue. Not enough for them though. Purdont!

7. Standouts - The QB for UNC was on point. I thought #18 for LSU was a strong pass rusher on a good DL. FSU had one too. Uga you pick’em on defense. The ECar QB was a gamer in a 1-point loss to NCSt.

one more game tonight to wrap it up. Then Fri night date with Gus. LFG!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News