Solid analysis and picking AU to win it all

00:01

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2005
There's Always a Second ($1 to MCAU)
AU +1600 to win it all

Best value bet to win the East​

Last year, Auburn lost to 1-seed Houston after blowing a 10-point lead with only five reliable players. This season, Bruce Pearl has focused on building more than a one- or two-star team - moving KD Johnson to the role of energetic sixth-man, for example.

That focus on depth sounds like UConn, which should win both games easily this weekend to set up a Sweet 16 showdown. Even though the Tigers are a 4-seed, they're the fourth-best team by KenPom. While the Huskies have been dominant in the Big East, they haven't faced a team like Auburn this season. Even last year's title run came without them facing a No. 1 or 2 seed.

My compadre, Sam Oshtry, picked the Tigers to win the region, and we're in lockstep. However, I'll do him one better. Auburn is my pick to win the national title at +1600 or better. If they can pull a mini-upset over UConn, the Tigers should be favored in any matchup thereafter.

Before the SEC Tournament, Pearl told his team it'd win nine straight games - three in Nashville and six in the NCAA Tournament. At 16-1, I'm willing to believe him. That starts with the East Region.

Pick: Auburn (+300 or better)

Matt Russell is the lead betting analyst for theScore. If there's a bad beat to be had, Matt will find it. Find him on social media @mrussauthentic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News