ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Update: Gulf Coast COVID numbers

mrhickory

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2008
We passed an unthinkable threshold this morning. Now over 50% of our inpatient beds are now bedded with active COVID patients. 86% of our ICU is now active COVID with 94% of those requiring ventilators. We have pulled doctors from outpatient clinics to come help see those less severe non-Covid patients.

82% of our ER beds are currently inpatient and over 50% of those are COVID as well.

Currently 91% unvaccinated of those admitted with COVID. Only 1 in ICU that has been vaccinated and not on ventilator.

I don’t believe in vaccine mandates and let’s don’t start another thread about that or that people shouldn’t have the right to decide for themselves. This also isn’t a thread about ivermectin or masks. But, we do have many currently hospitalized and in ICU that had been on ivermectin since diagnosis. I don’t care if you take it, just don’t wait too long to get here if you start to decline.

Of note, our governor asked for the USS Comfort/HMS Mercy to make its way here as that our hospitals are the brink of complete collapse.

Just asking for some T’s and P’s for those of us working on the gulf coast and please let it peak soon.

Last edited:
We passed an unthinkable threshold this morning. Now over 50% of our inpatient beds are now bedded with active COVID patients. 86% of our ICU is now active COVID with 94% of those requiring ventilators. We have pulled doctors from outpatient clinics to come help see those less severe non-Covid patients.

82% of our ER beds are currently inpatient and over 50% of those are COVID as well.

Currently 91% unvaccinated of those admitted with only 1 in ICU that has been vaccinated.

I don’t believe in vaccine mandates and let’s don’t start another thread about that or that people shouldn’t have the right to decide for themselves. This also isn’t a thread about ivermectin or masks. But, we do have many currently hospitalized and in ICU that had been on ivermectin since diagnosis. I don’t care if you take it, just don’t wait too long to get here if you start to decline.

Just asking for some T’s and P’s for those of us working on the gulf coast and please let it peak soon.
Thank you for what you do doc

Currently 91% unvaccinated of those admitted with only 1 in ICU that has been vaccinated.

Thank you! I read yesterday that MS was asking for the HMS Mercy to come dock down there to help out. I hope you all get that so you can have more hands on deck.

Reactions: mrhickory

Currently 91% unvaccinated of those admitted with COVID. Only 1 in ICU that has been vaccinated and not on ventilator.

Of note, our governor asked for the USS Comfort/HMS Mercy to make its way here as that our hospitals are the brink of complete collapse.

Hang in there Doc. Prayers for you and those being treated.

@mrhickory

I'm pro vaccine. Big fan of them. Can't stress this point enough for the crazies that will reply to me.

Now saying that... I've listened to a few pod cast about covid the last few days and this wasn't from a fringe source, but the thing both these doctors agreed on was that covid was here to stay. That agreed that this type virus couldn't be beat with vaccines or herd immunity, because it could jump from species to species, and therefore we can't stamp it out, or really even stop the mutation of the virus into other forms.

Both agreed the long term hope was that vaccines would keep you from getting deadly sick and that eventually it would morph into a form that was similar to a cold.

This idea goes against the idea that everyone needs to be vaccinated today to stop it from mutating into another form that our vaccines don't protect against, since it's going to mutate regardless of what we do.

Thoughts?

any new trends in ages of those in ICU?

Done!!!

Good luck, @mrhickory . None of this sounds too promising for hospital capacity and frontline workers.

Did people ask for these updates? Isn't there a COVID board here somewhere... good grief.

"Quick Update: Numbers" - - - Thought this was some inside info in to player numbers or something. Since we're in fall practice and all.

up-yours-asshole.gif

Its bad up here too, Doc. Wife got an alarming memo from administration about their capacity numbers yesterday

Currently 55% age 45 and under.
do you believe this is because delta affects the younger cohort in a worse way compared to OG covid or is it more of a function that the older population is more vaccinated and delta is much more transmissible, leading to many more cases in the young and middle aged groups

He's very correct in saying you have to jump on this virus early before the viral load gets too high. Once that happens, the oxidative stress it creates is difficult to overcome. Patients can go down very rapidly because there is such a thin line between being able to handle all the oxidative stress and not being able to. Had one this week that finally got better and wanted to celebrate and ate Mexican food. It caused her to start coughing violently which made her lung collapse. Two days later, she died.

I've seen the monoclonal antibodies aren't as effective against the Delta strain, maybe @mrhickory can comment on that.

thanks for the post, I will ask for you get the damn shot why not

Reactions: Mobilealum

THANKS foe you and SAWBONE and the rezt of the HEALTH CARE folks in dis FAMBLY!!
@stevesawbone

@mrhickory

I'm pro vaccine. Big fan of them. Can't stress this point enough for the crazies that will reply to me.

Now saying that... I've listened to a few pod cast about covid the last few days and this wasn't from a fringe source, but the thing both these doctors agreed on was that covid was here to stay. That agreed that this type virus couldn't be beat with vaccines or herd immunity, because it could jump from species to species, and therefore we can't stamp it out, or really even stop the mutation of the virus into other forms.

Both agreed the long term hope was that vaccines would keep you from getting deadly sick and that eventually it would morph into a form that was similar to a cold.

This idea goes against the idea that everyone needs to be vaccinated today to stop it from mutating into another form that our vaccines don't protect against, since it's going to mutate regardless of what we do.

Thoughts?

The less available hosts, the less mutations. The more vaccinated, the less hosts available for mutations. This has been stated over and over by scientists and doctors like @mrhickory.

I spoke with an administrator at UAB regarding the bed usages, and he said it was a perfect storm, and though a good portion was Covid related, it was also many other patients that have been putting off treatment for two years and are now in dire need. One patient was putting off stomach pains, turns out he has pancreatic cancer. That was just one example of other issues people are having now which are causing these issues. Any of this in your hospital?

A side note: my 17 year old daughter tested positive for Covid last week while on a trip with another family in the Bahamas, last in our family to get it. She is unvaccinated. Two day summer cold and she is all good. The family, she was with, all fully vaccinated, also tested positive and was vastly more sick than my daughter. So go figure...

I spoke with an administrator at UAB regarding the bed usages, and he said it was a perfect storm, and though a good portion was Covid related, it was also many other patients that have been putting off treatment for two years and are now in dire need. One patient was putting off stomach pains, turns out he has pancreatic cancer. That was just one example of other issues people are having now which are causing these issues. Any of this in your hospital?

A side note: my 17 year old daughter tested positive for Covid last week while on a trip with another family in the Bahamas, last in our family to get it. She is unvaccinated. Two day summer cold and she is all good. The family, she was with, all fully vaccinated, also tested positive and was vastly more sick than my daughter. So go figure...
Username checks out

Reactions: DM8
The less available hosts, the less mutations. The more vaccinated, the less hosts available for mutations. This has been stated over and over by scientists and doctors like @mrhickory.

But don't we want the virus to eventually mutate into a less serious form? Aren't we somewhat delaying what our end goal is?

Also, it can jump from humans to animals. Us small amount of humans comparably don't really matter in the big picture. It will keep on doing it's thing.

I pro vaccine. Take it and save your life. Just food for thought.

Yore response is contradicting @DavistonTiger . He mentioned if the virus is able cross species, they will harbor the virus (more hosts, it will mutate regardless of human vaccination). Elimination might not be possible, just lowering symptoms until it attenuates like OC43 might of done with the Russian Flu of 1889.

It's theorized Smallpox was eliminated because humans were the only hosts. It's why the flu isn't eliminated as it has many hosts that humans contact regularly (birds, cows, pigs, etc.)

Humans aren't the only species to be infected by SAR-COV-2. However, you are correct vaccinations will slow mutations due to humans being in more dense populations.

Get the vaccine it GREATLY lowers your chance to get very sick, drain resources, and die. Get the shot to slow it down.

Point being, this is a larger issue.

Last edited:
You're response is contradicting @DavistonTiger . He mentioned if the virus is able cross species, they will harbor the virus (more host, it will mutate regardless of human vaccination). Elimination might not be possible, just lowering symptoms until it attenuates like OC43 might of done with the Russian Flu of 1889.

Humans aren't the only specifies to be infected by SAR-COV-2. However, you are correct vaccinations will slow mutations due to humans being in more dense populations.

Agreed...

The bigger question the pod cast was discussing I listened to was...

If covid is here to stay and our goal is to have it morph into a mild illness aren't we just delaying that mutation with vaccines.

The panel was split on that answer.

I'm team vaccine because I believe it will keep you alive, while also allowing for the virus mutation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT