ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL QUICK NOTES: Bryan Harsin (8-9-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
70EF01A5-E8D9-448F-A295-9E2EE3A03837.jpeg

He’s here.

On his overall evaluation: “I thought today … we had the most urgency we’ve had. Our conditioning happens in practice. When we did the split practices … I think that got to some of them. I thought the energy was good (today) … that’s what it should look like.”

Says they have “a ways to go” in terms of preparation.

“Overall, today was a good day.”

On the secondary: “The wide receivers and the DBs … those guys run quite a bit at practice and there’s been zero complaints from any of those guys. Keionte Scott’s been a nice addition. He made an immediate impact.”

Says Pritchett also has elevated his game.

”We’ve got to catch the ball better.”

On WRs: “Camden is a big guy. He’s got that size. He didn’t have some of the catches he’s made in the earlier practices today. Omari … is getting better. And Jay Fair, too. Jay, Var, all those guys are in the same position. Jay did some good things today to stand out.”

Says Dawson “has a knack for getting himself open.”

More on Dawson: “Just maturity. And settling in … you’re in the SEC, you want to play, here’s what you have to do. Technique and running. He can run, but he was kinda all over the place when he got here.”

Moving into pads soon. What can you learn already? “I’ve got to see from these guys what I saw today. We want to be very specific what we want to get out of (the Saturday scrimmage). We’re shuffling guys around. We told them that all eyes are on them. Everybody is watching them.”

On Calzada: “It’s camp. You’re seeing a lot of different looks from the defense. I think he’s done well; today was a good day for him. Like everyone else, he had a sense of urgency on the field. Today was one of our more consistent days from the QBs. Even Holden. He’s showing some flashes. All those guys have done a good job of applying what Coach Kiesau has asked them to do.”

On Anders Carlson: “He looks (healthy). He was wearing his brace today on the kickoff. I don’t think he’s put everything into his swing, but he still put it in the end zone. He’s an elite talent in that way. When it’s time for us to go play, he’ll be ready.”

On Robby Ashford‘s camp: “Decision-making, that’s the thing. He’s a weapon he goes off and runs. I think he’s throwing the ball better. He had a couple throws the other day that were pretty special.”

Says the quarterbacks, at least the top three, are getting “pretty much equal reps” right now.

He says Ike Hilliard Has made an impact in the wideout room. “There’s been very little distraction. They’re just going.”

He lauds “Zay” Capers for his work. He caught a deep post that apparently was a terrific individual play.

On the newcomers on defense. He says Morris isn’t as long as some of the other DLs, but “he packs a punch.” Says McDonald is coming back from a foot injury. It’s about conditioning with him. He says Bragg has been working on special teams and at edge. “He’s figured it out. He’s made an impact already.”

On Donovan Kaufman. “He’s very focused, and has been since January, on the day-to-day with what he’s got to do better. He’s a guy who’s become a leader on this team.” He’s versatile; he can do different things.”

On the creativity of this passing offense. “(Creating mismatches) is what we do. That’s always been it. We tried to do some of that last year. We know our personnel better (now) and we have better personnel.“

He’s asked about having a chip on his shoulder. He kinda brushes by it, says you always should have an edge. “Try to be a consistent human being. All that stuff is just the drama that surrounds what you do. We talk about what you have to do today. That’s the motivating factor, right? After the pre-game speech … what drives you?”

On if they’re rotating as much on the OL: “We’re not bouncing around as much. Your tackles are your tackles; your guards are your guards.” Says they only rotate to keep people fresh for drills, but not for the purposes of cross-training. “We want them to spend more time in their position.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News