ADVERTISEMENT

Putting Walker Kessler’s stats into prospective

auburn_stiles

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
Kessler played less than 9 minutes per game last year for the Tar Heels who did have a deep front court, the strength of their team.

Extrapolating his counting stats assuming he plays 25 MPG, which I believe is fair, he averages 12.5 PPG, 9 boards, 2.5 blocks, 1.5 steals and 1 assist per game. But Also means he fouls 3.5 times per game (not great) and turns it over 1.7 times per game (not too bad).

H shot almost 60% from the field but only 53% from FT and 25% from 3 (but that was only on 4 total attempts, hello transfer portal). But what is probably the most staggering is the 2.5 blocks and 1.5 steals. So, in theory, on just those plays, he accounts for 16-22 points per game just on blocks and steals. Blocking 2.5 shots per game saves 5 points and adds potential extra possessions to earn 5-7.5 points (2’s or 3’s) and the 1.5 steals saves 3-4.5 points and adds potentially 3-4.5 more points. Those are really big numbers for a big man. Yes I am aware this is theoretical and it’s possible to block a shot out of bounds or not score off of a forced turnover, please work with me.

I’m on record as saying the best big man in BP’s system are springy, versatile, quick-twitch, high motor guys that don’t need touches to impact games. I stand by that, and Kessler doesn’t fit that mold. However, his defensive stats over 25 MPG as a freshman are ridiculous and he obviously has the ability to make plays defensively. And his skills offensively for a big man haven’t been seen in an Auburn uniform for decades.

He will get caught in switches defensively and quicker guards will get downhill on him like Baylor did Timme in the NC game. There is nothing you can do about that. So the team around him defensively will need to know their rotations and close out aggressively and be willing to take a charge in order to make up for Kessler’s inevitable switches he will find himself in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News