ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Player interviews quick updates (8/12/22)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Jarquez Hunter, Malcolm Johnson Jr., Zion Puckett and Cam Riley here momentarily. Follow along for all your updates. Happy Friday!

ZION PUCKETT

- Says he feels comfortable adjusting to being a leader now in the secondary.

- Identifying coverages, assignments and going live is what he's looking forward to tomorrow's scrimmage.

- On Caleb Wooden: They have a good relationship. He's helping him adjust to college.

- Playing weight is around 215 right now. He's dropped 7-8 pounds.

- On being healthy: "I feel good. I feel like I got what needed to be fixed done." Can go out and not worry about injury.

- On Kaufman: "He's someone that comes in day in and day out and works hard." It's also Zion's roommate.

- On Etheridge: "He feels like a big brother. I go to him for anything ... being able to talk about things other than football."

- He feels like being all over the field has helped him a lot. Says it has helped with knowledge of the game.

- He loves the responsibility of getting people lined up. One of the captains of the whole team.

- Takes pride in keeping up the tradition of good players in Auburn's secondary.

- On learning about himself playing linebacker: "That COVID year was hard on everybody. I was down at the beginning of the season a little bit ... but it was a blessing to have the coaches believe in me that I can play in different part of the field."

- Expects it to be a very unique group. You can put the 3 groups and they love to compete.

Malcolm Johnson Jr.

- On transition and progression: Being out in the fire and having to adapt has really helped him a lot because he's had to learn a lot faster.

- On preseason competition: "It's definitely challenging. We also learn a lot from our receiver coach (Ike). It's a fun competition."

- Says Ike never raises his voice.

- On learning from Ike: "He's taught us a lot about leverage. Seeing coverages. The concept of plays. There's just so much we've learned and have to learn."

- Says he has learned a lot about playing wide receiver this year.

- On giving up senior season and enrolling early: "Since that year didn't count, I didn't think I had anything to lose." - Real tough adjustment.

- On playing with different QBs: "I think they are all really talented. They are competing right now so we are getting the best from each of them."

Jarquez Hunter

- Biggest adjustment is that he knows he will play a lot more this year. Means he has to pay more attention to detail.

- On goals for season: "I want to make my practice habits like I'm playing in a game." Make sure you are accountable.

- On skills working on: "My balance."

- Says he will be using him and Tank more in different situations.

- Says he is in same situation as his coach (Cadillac) because the running back room is full of talent.

- On Sean Jackson: "His footwork is good."

- On Damari Alston: "His cuts in and out. He's a physical player." Thinks he is ready to contribute.

- Mentions the team is coming closer together than last year.

- On early success: "I was ready to get the ball. I wanted to get it."

- On running backs catching the ball: "It's going to be a big part. Gets us one-on-one with linebackers."

- On Tank: "He makes sure we do things right on the offensive side of the ball."

Cam Riley

- On being 230-235 and playing linebacker: "It feels good." Says he feels more beefy. Feels different, bigger.

- On tackling Tank: "He's a powerful back. It helps me out." Says he's the best back in the country. Has all the attributes you want a back to help.

- On being a backup and now a starter: "It helped me out in the long run being behind Zakoby. You know he's a legend." Says he learned a lot from McClain.

- Says playing in bowl game was valuable.

- What is C-Rob like playing for? "He focuses on technique and fundamentals. He's cleaned up my footwork, eyes and hands."

- On Donovan Kaufman: "He's just a freak overall. He just shows up in every play."

- On having Owen in the room: "It feels good to have someone like him. He's a student of the game. He's going to make sure we know everything. Spends time with us studying."

- On becoming a student of the game: "It's changed. I have no choice (as a starter) but to know the playbook."

And that's it for the players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News