ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Player interview quick notes...

BryanMatthews

ANIMATED GIF MASTER
Staff
May 9, 2014
Auburn, AL
auburn.rivals.com
We are scheduled to speak with TE Luke Deal, WR Ja’Varrius Johnson and DL J.J. Pegues today at 1 p.m. CT. Click refresh, will continue to update...

LUKE DEAL

** The offense is different. More pro style, having to learn a lot of different things. Was tough early on trying to learn everything but more fun now.

** Really focused on blocking and being physical at point of attack last year. This year, trying to develop as an all-around tight end. Trying to get a little faster every day. We're excited as a group.

** Kind of bittersweet seeing J.J. Pegues move. Joked with coach we wanted to kick him out of our group chat. Will be a great fit on DL. Very athletic, freak.

** Loves the competition at TE.

** Loves playing some fullback and working out of the I-formation at times. Just got to be physical doing that old-school stuff. Love it.

** Brandon Frazier, like JJ, is one of my best friends. He was a little shy when he first got here but thriving now. Catching on faster, has gotten more physical. Been working on his feet and hands. The whole TE group is excited about being in a physical, downhill offense.

** Really impressed with Tyler Fromm. Has come in and become a completely different TE in this offense. It started in the weight room. He's gotten bigger and stronger.

** Working on speed and natural ball skills everyday. Wants to catch and block and do everything the team needs him to do.

** Landen King, it's kind of a shock when everybody comes in but he's handled it well. It's a lot of stuff thrown at you right away.

** Offense is about downhill running and explosive passing.

** On John Samuel Shenker: He doesn't get to practice as much with us, see him about once a week. Has taken on a great responsibility. We all love Shenk. He's our leader. Been doing a great job.

** On Brad Bedell: He's definitely energetic. He's been good about teaching the new install really well, making sure we understand it.

** Got engaged at Jordan-Hare several weeks ago. Really special. Probably more nervous for that than a big game. Her name is Ansley.

J.J. PEGUES

** Playing DT has been going good. Coach Eason has been giving him hints. He played a little DE in high school.

** Doing a little 3-tech and 4i so far. Came about last Monday. Coach Harsin told me I could be a big help to the DL room, they needed me. I chose to move to help my team and show the world I can do both.

** Coach Eason is very energetic. He gives me all types of tips. He's all about family and brotherhood.

** Weighs 300 pounds right now. Coaches want him around 302-304 at defensive tackle. If he was to go back to TE, they'd want him around 285.

** Toughest thing is learning the language the defense uses and the techniques like taking on double-teams. It's frustrating at times but Coach Eason always tells me it takes time.

** Like to watch Ed Oliver from Houston. People have told him he looks like Oliver.

** All of the DL have helped me. Colby Wooden has been helping me with the playbook a lot. They all help me with the basic stuff like hand movement.

** Might have some goal-line packages on offense but we'll see down the road. I'll play whatever they tell me to play. It's for the team and getting wins and whatever helps me get to the next level.

** These coaches have stepped in and laid out a great plan for us this spring. All of us have really come together like a family. Having a player-led team is important.

JA'VARRIUS JOHNSON

** I feel things have gone well. Been healthy. Had a pelvis injury when I came in that led into last year. Making sure I eat write and train right.

** Coach Harsin was one of the first guys to recruit me as a freshman. I knew we were going to have a good coach.

** The offense fits me, working in the slot can use my speed to get open in different areas, short and deep.

** Have worked on and improved on creating space.

** We're a young group but working hard to learn our assignments and where to line up. It's been a little bit of a struggle but we're doing better now.

** Getting a chance to come out here and show what I can do is great. Really embracing it. The first couple of years were pretty tough.

** On biggest changes for WRs: Being able to go from outside to inside. Last time played inside was high school.

** Things are going well on offense. People are still mind-blown by all the new plays we've put in. We have a pretty good WR group. We're all buying in. I think we'll be pretty good when the season comes.

** Very important to build that relationship with Bo Nix. He's been doing a good job with all the WRs. Been working during and outside of practice.

** Has worked on being more of a vocal leader. Tries to pick them up when they're down.

** Getting different routes. Have to work on getting the depth right.

*****THAT'S ALL*****

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News