ADVERTISEMENT

Neal McCready's latest update (11:15am on 11/25)

Bryan9451

All-American
Dec 2, 2008
"As of Friday morning, everyone is waiting on Lane Kiffin. As of this morning, to our knowledge, Ole Miss’ contract extension offer is still sitting on the proverbial table, waiting for Kiffin’s signature or his ironclad verbal intention to sign it. I know some people insist that he closed the door on this last night, but trust us: Multiple, multiple sources on all sides do not share that sentiment at all.

As of this morning, per multiple sources, Auburn has not made an official offer to Kiffin, though the widespread belief is he is the Tigers’ top choice and knows he can have the offer with a request for it.

What’s the holdup? On Auburn’s end, it’s all about Carnell Williams. ESPN’s Chris Low, a longtime friend of mine, is in Tuscaloosa today, preparing for Saturday’s Iron Bowl game. He insists that Auburn is emphatic that it will not extend an offer to anyone — Kiffin or anyone else — until that 2:30 p.m. game has reached its conclusion. Jason Caldwell of Inside The Auburn Tigers wrote something similar this morning, saying “It has everything to do with showing respect to Cadillac Williams, the coaches and players and nothing do with waiting on a certain coach or coaches.”

He went on to say he does not “expect any news from the Auburn front today.”

As an aside, Auburn, a 22-point underdog Saturday, could be in quite a PR pickle if the Tigers pull the upset. Since Williams took over for Bryan Harsin, the Tigers have lost in overtime at Mississippi State and won at home versus Texas A&M and Western Kentucky. After each of the those games, even the loss, they’ve conducted cult-like revivals on the field. Imagine the scene if they pulled it off in Tuscaloosa. Would the pressure from fans and former players push John Cohen and Co. to make him the permanent coach? It’s unlikely, but crazier things…

That’s likely a bit frustrating to Ole Miss, which knows the last two weeks have done considerable damage to fan/booster morale. Kiffin wasn’t exactly contrite or fired up about the future last night. He literally couldn’t have handled that press conference much worse.

A source familiar with Kiffin said Kiffin would have no problem walking back his statements from last night and leaving. He said Kiffin likely feels he left himself some wiggle room. Neal’s thought here: Technically, I suppose, he did, but give me a break.

Ole Miss has to be thinking of its next step, and we believe that is certainly happening. Keith Carter and Glenn Boyce are smart people; they know if Kiffin leaves, they must be moving on his replacement immediately, if not sooner. However, as of this moment, Kiffin is the Rebels’ coach, and that is quite a set of handcuffs on a coaching search.

Wrapping up: We don’t see how this gets past Sunday without resolution."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News