ADVERTISEMENT

Neal MCCREADY update

ConnerAU

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2019
I know people at Auburn and close to Auburn and, to a person, they're very confident. From talking to sources and putting things together, IF YOU MADE ME GUESS, I'd guess Auburn and Kiffin's representation have had communication and discussed parameters. I would guess Kiffin has not talked to Auburn and that no official offer has been extended. However, based on conversations with connected people, I would guess an offer is coming his way as early as late Thursday. My guess, from talking to people connected with Ole Miss, is they believe the same. One journalism source connected to Auburn (no, not Jay) believes Auburn would like to have something done as early as Friday, and if that's the case, they believe it would be Kiffin. Others believe Auburn won't do anything until after the Iron Bowl. I don't know. I simply have no idea. One source with connections to Auburn believes AU would like to have its next coach in place in time for the game in Tuscaloosa on Saturday. Again, I don't know. It's simply what people are saying.

I've heard Ole Miss is pushing for an answer from Kiffin. Others have said that's not the case. Again, I don't know. Based on what I've heard about Kiffin in these things, I'd say that would be a mistake. I've heard Ole Miss has not begun vetting other coaches in the event Kiffin leaves. I simply don't know.

Why would I guess he's leaving? Ole Miss made him an offer last Thursday. If he knew he were staying, I'd think he would have agreed to it and that would've been publicized. That hasn't happened as of Monday afternoon, so at the very least, I can't help but wonder if he wants to hear Auburn's pitch. Given that I expect Auburn's offer to Kiffin to be quite lucrative, I'm just following a gut feeling.

But again, I don't know. I've worked on it. I spent most of my drive Sunday working on it. I spent a good bit of Saturday and most of Friday working on it. Obviously I had a pretty extensive update on Thursday, one that pissed off Ole Miss. It was worded poorly, but the sentiment of the report -- including the part about Ole Miss not discussing the Auburn rumors with Kiffin -- was accurate. It's my very educated opinion Ole Miss didn't believe the Auburn rumors were true until last Wednesday. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really doubt it.

Kiffin was asked about the Auburn rumors again today and gave some very benign answers. Again, he certainly wasn't emphatic about it, one way or the other. That leads to people guessing, self included. There are people who believe he's staying. There are people who believe he's leaving. For the record, I hope he stays. He's fun to cover and I really don't want to have to cover a coaching search next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News