ADVERTISEMENT

My Take

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
This certainly isn't a JGT writeup, but it's the best I can do. I watch these games and see them from a point guard's perspective. I was an undertalented, cerebral court general when I played and did what I had to do to win. I watch the guards hard and heavy because that is what I know best.

Our Bigs had more assists than our guards (8 vs 4) if you count Moore as a guard. The reason for this is because our guards miss good opportunities to get assists because they simply aren't looking for them. When we come off a pick on the post, there is a brief window of opportunity to get a Big the ball 5 feet from the basket. We don't make that entry pass. I'm not sure why, but our guards aren't extremely skilled at making that pass. It's something we need to work on. Entry passes can cause a collapse in the defense which can lead to a kick out 3 pointer. That's a higher percentage 3 point attempt because the shooter is often square with the basket, stepping forward, and catching and shooting in rhythm. We need more of that because we can shoot better than 29% from three.

Our first half defense was exhausting to watch. It was a good as I've seen in a long time. When you can force the other team to bring the ball up slowly, they'll burn close to 8 seconds of shot clock before they even get in their half court set. After a couple of difficult extended passes around the perimeter, the shot clock is critical and lower percentage shots get taken.

Kessler runs the floor as good as any big man I've seen. He's the same speed as everyone else. He showed some ability at the beginning of the game by putting the ball on the floor and attempting a left handed layup before he was fouled. He needs to hit those FT's. His rim protection is elite and that comes from active hands and quickness. Our Bigs really played like Bigs and that makes this team much more difficult to score on because the guards can get beat and there is no easy path to a bucket.

We had two non-starters in double figures in scoring. Seeing Jaylin score 10 in only 17 minutes is great. Being able to bring KD (12 points) n when Zep sits is just demoralizing for their point guards. There is no let up, there is no break, and they know it's going to be a long night. Zep's stat line wasn't what he wanted, but his defense set the tone. He'll get his down the road and having room to get better is what will help push the team.

We had 12 assists and 6 turnovers. That's a huge improvement from last year and if we can continue a 2:1 ratio on that stat, we will have a very good year. Forcing them to have 17 turnovers is very good as well.

We did lose the rebounding battle 39 to 35. That shouldn't happen. This was our first game and there is still a lot of upside for our team. We can and will get better. As our team chemistry comes together, we should have some exciting basketball ahead of us. WDE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News