ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday musings...

I’m just going to be honest, I don’t pay $100 a year to come here and read Covid articles. I am 100% vaccinated and so is my entire family (including extended family), but I fully support every Americans right to chose. I think everyone should be vaccinated, but it is not my place to judge others stances on this. Harsin is our football coach, not the kids dictator, and I support his stance on letting these young men take it upon themselves to chose what they want to do with their bodies. It is up to the parents to help guide them and Auburn’s administration to educate them so they can make a decision they believe to be best for themselves…not our football coach. Also, Auburn isn’t going to win any type of championship this year with or without vaccinations.
POTD right here, well said.

So what if the unvaccinated players already caught COVID last year, and thus the likelihood of them testing positive again during the season is also reduced? Also that blurb sounded like it's high likely we get to the 85% threshold by Akron...
I'm not for or against the NCAA guidelines. They are what they are. Unvaccinated players that test positive get a 90 day window. That's it.

Reactions: DM8 and crococile22
I am normally thinking along the same lines as you. But I think the problem you and an element of the fanbase have it that you wish to basically force young men under Harsin's charge, many of whom are minors, to receive two injections of a vaccine into their body so that they may be a more of a competitive advantage. Think about that for a moment, you are wanting people to inject a drug into their body just for a competitive advantage. Well, I guess we know they take injections for the pain to be more competitive, so what's the harm right? Besides to basically force someone right now to take a vaccine that is not FDA approved opens a huge liability door. Morally, I think I would have a hard time with this. It is not like there is a national security or defense issue with this.

You have to look at things both ways. There have been plenty of drugs in the past that were safe and some even approved by the FDA that later proved to be dangerous. Thalidomide comes to mind. While it is used today for certain medical issues, its use with pregnant women as a morning sickness treatment caused severe birth defects. Accutane is another such drug long advocated for severe acne but birth defects and causing suicides later proved its undoing.

Hell, even when they rolled out the polio vaccine there were issues. This is from the Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine on what is known as the Cutter Incident.

"In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10."

I have taken the vaccine and so have my children and wife with the exception of the oldest stepson and he had the disease back in February. Do I think the young people on the team should get the vaccine, yeah, I do, along with the meningitis, DIphtheria, measles, mumps, and other childhood diseases. However, those other vaccines are FDA approved and can be required by the University. I don't recall the HFC being required to make sure his team has those shots, it is a university requirement. Once this thing gets FDA approved, then the university can require it. Until then, I think the head coach is doing what his conscience and his job requires him to do.

Last edited:
Where in the hell did you come up with that? The only player that's been out for a COVID related issue thus far has been Jarquez Hunter, and he was out due to contact tracing....no confirmation he even tested positive.
Do you live in a bubble of ignorance?

Reactions: DM8 and stutsman23
I normally thinking along the same lines as you. But I think the problem you and an element of the fanbase have it that you wish to basically force young men under Harsin's charge, many of whom are minors, to receive two injections of a vaccine into their body so that they may be a more of a competitive advantage. Think about that for a moment, you are wanting people to inject a drug into their body just for a competitive advantage. Well, I guess we know they take injections for the pain to be more competitive, so what's the harm right? Besides to basically force someone right now to take a vaccine that is not FDA approved opens a huge liability door. Morally, I think I would have a hard time with this. It is not like there is a national security or defense issue with this.

You have to look at things both ways. There have been plenty of drugs in the past that were safe and some even approved by the FDA that later proved to be dangerous. Thalidomide comes to mind. While it is used today for certain medical issues, its use with pregnant women as a morning sickness treatment caused severe birth defects. Accutane is another such drug long advocated for severe acne but birth defects and causing suicides later proved its undoing.

Hell, even when they rolled out the polio vaccine there were issues. This is from the Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine on what is known as the Cutter Incident.

"In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10."

I have taken the vaccine and so have my children and wife with the exception of the oldest stepson and he had the disease back in February. Do I think the young people on the team should get the vaccine, yeah, I do, along with the meningitis, DIphtheria, measles, mumps, and other childhood diseases. However, those other vaccines are FDA approved and can be required by the University. I don't recall the HFC being required to make sure his team has those shots, it is a university requirement. Once this thing gets FDA approved, then the university can require it. Until then, I think the head coach is doing what his conscience and his job requires him to do.

I'm not for or against the NCAA guidelines. They are what they are. Unvaccinated players that test positive get a 90 day window. That's it.
and how do those unvaccinated players that test positive factor into the 85% rate?

Now it becomes a University issue, Not the HFC. I was anticipating this action. However, if you read my post, there have been plenty of "safe" drugs that were later recalled. This just makes it easier for the University to mandate it.

Reactions: First Coast Tiger
No, I live in a world of facts. Name any OL that has missed significant time due to COVID? I'll wait.
You don't find the first year HC of the program missing 10-14 days right before the season starts as "significant time" so I have a feeling there's no answer that will work for you here

Reactions: stutsman23
If you disagree with anything @BryanMatthews said, then I don't want to read another poster complaining about losing games. Ya'll better all be focusing on his character, how nice he is, how he doesn't force players to do things, etc. cause that's what you're saying by disagreeing that there is a competitive advantage to getting your team vaccinated.

By all accounts, there seems to be at least two starting OL out with Covid or the contact tracing. These players are missing two weeks on instruction that we all know they need. But even more important will be there conditioning. Are they going to be in game shape after COVID when we go to PSU, LSU or play UGA?

You don't find the first year HC of the program missing 10-14 days right before the season starts as "significant time" so I have a feeling there's no answer that will work for you here
Whether he was vaccinated or not, he still would be quarantined, much like the Tn Titans coach. Hell, he might be vaccinated for all we know. It is really none of our business.

so then more cases, including harsin, gets us closer to that 85% number. sounds like a win win
No, I mean I would guess they don't factor into that 85% number. The vaccine rate decided upon by the NCAA would be a stand alone number, independent of the number of cases among unvaccinated.

We have one week of fall camp left, or like 3 practices before game week prep begins...that's not "significant time".

However, those other vaccines are FDA approved and can be required by the University. Once this thing gets FDA approved, then the university can require it. Until then, I think the head coach is doing what his conscience and his job requires him to do.
Phizer received full FDA approval today. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If you disagree with anything @BryanMatthews said, then I don't want to read another poster complaining about losing games. Ya'll better all be focusing on his character, how nice he is, how he doesn't force players to do things, etc. cause that's what you're saying by disagreeing that there is a competitive advantage to getting your team vaccinated.

By all accounts, there seems to be at least two starting OL out with Covid or the contact tracing. These players are missing two weeks on instruction that we all know they need. But even more important will be there conditioning. Are they going to be in game shape after COVID when we go to PSU, LSU or play UGA?
If they they were vaccinated they would miss 10 days.

Reactions: brazilnut
Why? Because he most likely caught COVID while engaging with students on campus(while wearing a mask like he was told to do so by the CDC)? .

Also what if most of our players already have natural immunity and because of that chose not to get vaccinated? This one thing is just beyond absurd at this point. Stop making people victims for catching a virus.
It's doubtful most of the players have natural immunity. Time and again when we do testing of various populations to see if natural immunity is out there that might get us much closer to herd immunity, the numbers never seem to come back showing that to be the case.

Hell, Sweden last year essentially made a bed on getting to herd immunity by allowing peopel to get infected. While the rest of Scandinavia had tight restrictions with masking and social distancing, Sweden did very little in that regard, betting on asymptomatic infections to get them there sooner. After a few months of this while their hospitalizations and deaths were astronomically higher than their neighbors, they did random testing in Stockholm and other municipalities and found that despite their best efforts, the overwhelming percentage of the population there showed no indications of exposure to COVID at the time. The test results showed that only a few percent more of the population showed any antibodies indicating infection beyond the people they'd confirmed as having COVID. This notion that there's been some massive amount of people who've been infected without knowing it just has no evidence to back it up. Some? Sure. A difference making amount? Nope.

Reactions: Callmeabug and DM8
Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
There is no guarantee, Derek Mason had the jab and has tested positive. Just because you're jabbed it does not mean you will not have an out break.

People will start caring about the time Harsin missed because of his decision when Bo is in the middle of his annual meltdown whenever we do get to the meat of our schedule(if it doesnt happen before then). I think most of our fans are fine with things with a couple of cupcakes out of the gate, but anyone knows with the amount of time college coaches are limited to in person coaching with their players, all the practice time you get with your team in crucial. It's not like we're spending much time with specific game plans for competition as bad as ASU and GSU anyways.

lol so the 85% thing is just a random number they came up with as a Benchmark?

Yes. Also, if a player is unvaccinated and test positive then others in contact with him can be tested even if vaccinated. That’s my understanding. If a team is at 100%, nobody is tested unless they “report” symptoms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT