ADVERTISEMENT

MetallicAub's Musical Memories - Sevendust/Static X, Oct 13th 2023

MetallicAub

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
Live Music is without a doubt my favorite thing...I love talking about it, I love writing about it, I love listening to it.
What I am learning more and more each week on the Bunker is that music is just as loved and polarizing as Auburn sports so I want to write about my concert exploits and see if it connects with any Bunker folks. If it does...great. If it doesn't...I get to enjoy revisiting recent concerts I have attended.

Venue: Piedmont Hall
Bands: Static X, Sevendust and Dope

Thoughts on show

I am going to start with Sevendust but I have thoughts on both the headliners which is not what I expected going into this show. The background here is that I grew up in Atlanta...I was in High School from 1995-1999 and if you loved heavy music in Atlanta at that time, Sevendust was ours. We had Stuck Mojo too (some may remember that name) but Sevendust was OUR LOCAL BAND. I saw them everywhere in the lates 90s...the Cotton Club, the Tabernacle, Centennial Olympic Park, Lakewood Ampitheatre, the Roxy, Music Midtown and maybe more I can't remember. I loved them, I loved they were from Atlanta and I loved they were heavy.

This was the 3rd time I have seen Sevendust this year but the first time I have seen their full set. The mix of old and new stuff was fantastic. Songs like Alpha and Hero I had not seen live in forever. Splinter and Strong Arm Broken are some of my favorites and of course they broke of Pieces. Only one track from the self titled album and it wasn't Black which is a switch up from previous shows and a welcome addition even though Black is special. 4 songs of the new album which is ok but Everything is an amazing song so I was happy to see that one live finally. They put on a killer show and I am never disappointed seeing them live.

So for those who do not know (if you are reading this you probably do though) Wayne Static passed away about 9 years ago and Static X was kind of over. They replaced him with an unnamed singer, Xero (this is actually Edsel Dope from Dope) and it was.........weird. He played with a cheap mask that looked like Wayne and did his hair like Wayne as well. I saw them back in 2019 and it wasn't great, I saw them again last summer with Rob Zombie and Mudvayne and it wasn't great.

Static X has kind of figured it out after a few years and have "rebranded" Xero as an AI replacement of Wayne. Yes it is still weird but I have to admit it is also kind of cool. Xero looks like a robot with a very cool mask now, his spiked hair looks like wires that are red and blue. It looks very cool on the stage I have to admit. So if you can get past the fact it isn't Wayne the sound was phenomenal.

The entire band sounded so tight and so clean the entire show. Xero can't do the "OOOOOOOOOOOOO" that Wayne was always known for and it is probably a good thing he doesn't try to. But they were so fired up to play and crushed the set. Love Dump, Terminator Oscilator, I'm with Stupid, Cold, Push It...it was hit after hit and very heavy on the Wisconsin Death Trip album. I was shocked how much fun I had and how much I enjoyed it. Evil Disco is back folks!!!!!

Recommend?
I am absolutely recommending this one. Great show for the late 90s Metal fans. Great mix of Sevendust's Hard Rock and Static X's Industrial Metal. Both Bands got full headlining sets of about 70 minutes so you are getting your moneys worth out of this one.

Sevendust Setlist
  1. I Might Let the Devil Win
  2. Truth Killer
  3. Alpha
  4. Till Death
  5. Splinter
  6. Hero
  7. Denial
  8. Fence
  9. Strong Arm Broken
  10. Enemy
  11. Trust