ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from PA. and...

extratiger

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
I want to say the southeast is truly the best region on earth. I travel a good bit and I'm reminded of this fact every time I get back home.

As for State College, PSU's campus, their fans, game day experience and the stadium; it's sort of a cross between Knoxville, with a touch of TAMU's cultish like fanbase (very undiversified.... whitey-out maximus) and Athens. I think the Athens part comes from being irrelevant for so long with ridiculous expectations.
Got a few "rtrs", and "Nix sucks" comments, which I've learned to expect from drunk children and run of the mill morons. Nothing new there. They are ametuers in that department compared to Baton Rouge and Gainesville.
My group of four Aubs went to the game with and tailgated with some fine PSU people, who are good customers and business partners. I met at least a dozen more of their friends and family members and they were all gracious and hospitable host. I ate enough "brats", cheese and pickles for a good six months worth of storage. Their, diversity and taste in food is limited. The SEC owns tailgating and cooking, without a doubt.
Beaver (and I mean some top shelf ugly ones) Stadium makes Jordan-Hare look like Jerry world. The bathroom situation was hopeless and like most everything else in the stadium, was just completely out of date. There was a noticable stench in the air (sort of like sewage) as we were walking around the very Knoxville like (without the TN River. - the only positive about Knoxville), boring campus. Looked very nuvo-amish-prison in terms of architecture and landscape.

The football game was hard faught.
Penn State had a good plan against our mostly zone D, and good enough talent to take advantage of our current deficiencies on O and D.
As a former DL, I always focus on the LOS after rewatching the game, which I did on the trip home. One thing I noticed during the game, we were not setting the edge (could elaborate much more on this) very well on D, and like everyone else seems to have opined, we should have ran Tank and Hunter more. The OL actually played pretty good. I would liked to have seen more RB screens. and cut back runs with Tank and Hunter. Both can catch and can go with it afterwards. That could have opened up more seams up the hash for easier throws. PSU would have had to respect the flats more if we hit a few more of those 10 to 15 yard chunk RB screen plays.
Lots of ifs and buts regarding play calling, which I'm sure the staff is discussing at this very moment. I'm a little concerned about Bo's shoulder. He wasn't the same after that hit he took. Everyone better light a candle and pray his shoulder is alright..

The crowd really wasn't that big of a deal. Visually, it was interesting to see. They do take their white very seriously in Happy Valley. But, I believe it had little impact on our performance. We've played in much louder and more raucous stadiums. So has Harsin and staff.
I hate we lost the game. I hate all losses. But, despite the coaching and player mistakes, some which I expected, the TEAM was still in a position to win on the road,.... the first road trip under Harsin.
I saw coaching on the sideline from every position coach. I didn't see any panic. I also saw a head coach who was in control of his team. I'm not saying anything was perfect and there's no room for growth. But, overall I was impressed with the AU sideline. Its a night and day difference with this staff vs. last year's.
Last year, or anytime during the last 7 years, AU would have lost that game by at least 21 points, especially after the turnover to start the 3rd quarter. Panic and frozen deer eyes would have consumed our former HC and team.
Harsin, his staff or his players never quit. I don't think it's anywhere in the culture he has built and continuing to build.

If AU can stay healthy, this team (including staff) will continue to get better throughout the season. This team could win some they should not.

As many have discussed, we are short on talent in some key areas.
I think Harsin sees these needs and I think he use all necessary tools to get AU's talent level on par with our real competition. It's just going to take some time. I thought our overall team speed would be the difference in the game and AU would win. I truly believe the turnover in the 3rd was the difference in the game. If Hudson just takes off running, he probably gains at least 20 yards. Ifs and buts! Hindsight is better off behind you. Learn and turn.
WE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News