ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Smith

DaleEarnhardt

All-American
Jul 3, 2015
The winner's circle
Anyone else have some run-ins with Jack Smith in the AD?

A couple years ago when I was in college at Auburn, I worked for the city Parks & Rec. Dept. I more or less ran the 3rd-7th grade boys and girls basketball rec. leagues. Jack Smith is coaching his daughter's 6-7 grade team. In this league, there were only 4 teams. Throughout the season, he is constantly whiny and just acts like a major douche.
Fast forward to the end of the season. By this time, I have passed out player evaluations to every coach in all of my leagues. These were just to make it easier on the coaches for next season. During the "draft" for next season, coaches could look at these evals. Jack Smith has also been given one of these evals, and I've asked him and all the coaches a handful of times to make sure they turned it in by the first playoff game. This is a pretty reasonable ask, in my opinion.
Playoffs are here! Jack walks in long before his game is set to begin, so I walk over and ask if he has his eval ready. "Not quite yet, I'll have it to you by the time I leave tonight though". I then tell him, "Perfect, just come put in on my table if you can't find me".
Game begins. Jack Smith's last placed daughter against Trooper Taylor's first placed and undefeated daughter in a first round playoff game. Your classic 1 seed vs. 16 seed. Winner goes to the CHAMPIONSHIP. Tight game throughout, and Jack's team ties it up just before the buzzer. OVERTIME. Needless to say, Trooper's daughter Starr took over and they blew out Jack's team. (Starr btw probably averaged 24 out of her team's 30ish points for the season.)
Jack Smith is extremely angry. He goes on and on about how the referees were terrible and the other team was cheating. Kind of typical for him after the games, but this time it meant the season was done. All hope for the CHAMPIONSHIP trophy lost. I allow him time to have the final team meeting and get the benches cleaned up while the other semi-final/first round game is getting ready to begin. Finally, I see that he is about to leave without turning in my evaluation. I walk to him and say "Jack, I need your evaluation". He is still really pissed though, and grabs it out of his folder, crumples it right in front of me and throws it in my face. Keep in mind, I am a 21 year old college kid, and he is a grown man, making real money in the AU Ath. Dept. He starts yelling something, but by this time, steam is coming from my ears and I'm not hearing. I'm also about to punch the guy in the face, but I restrain my rage somehow and tell him to get out of Frank Brown Recreation Center, and that he is not allowed back. He keeps trying to raise his voice at me, but I just walk him to the door and close it on him.
Later on, I call my boss and tell him the entire exchange. He tells me that he is going to take care of it. Jack was not allowed back in Frank Brown Rec. Center for the rest of the season (not long since it was playoffs, but he did have a niece or nephew he usually came to watch that he couldn't come to). He was also supposed to apologize to me. Instead, he wrote an email and sent it to my boss, not me. The contents basically said "I apologize for the incident at Frank Brown Recreation Center. This was unnecessary behavior and will not happen again". Blah blah blah.
For the next year and half that I worked there, he always avoided me anytime he saw me at the baseball fields or the basketball courts.

Anyways, that's my story about Jack Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News