ADVERTISEMENT

It’s got to be someone from the South

MercerTiger11

All-American
Feb 16, 2006
Columbus, GA
Coaching options

Existing HC:
Kiffin - going to take +/-$10m/year to get him. I’m not opposed to it, but we’re rolling the dice. Think he’s an elite coach, elite talent evaluator (both players and coaches). You have to think he’s learned from Saban and learned from his previous mistakes. I think he would see Auburn as a slight upgrade in platform and would be driven to beat Saban and Smart. This would be a A+ hire, imo, but you’re rolling the dice he doesn’t fall back into his old ways, and you’re making a huge financial commitment to him. I’d have to think Kiffin would only come here for an ass-ton of money and total control.

Freeze - I’ve heard he’s the big money guy’s pick. He’s a good ole boy who knows the south and knows the sec. He’ll fit in here, with the people and he can score points. I think he’d be a B+ hire and would be interesting to see how the future unfolds if the Big money gets behind “their guy”. Would think you’re talking $6-7m/year.

Coordinators/Assistants:
A) Dell or Glenn Schumann
B) Pete Golding or Kendall Briles
C) Brandon Streeter

Summery: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Short version, look at what our competition is doing, and hire one of their guys. I think it comes down to the interview process and which of these guys has the most concise plan to build a program like the one they are leaving. I would really hope that would be Dell with his ties to Auburn, but any of these guys would probably be an improvement over what we have.

Don’t think are options:
Dion - if big money doesn’t like the potatoes, then they won’t support Dion.

Aranda/Grimes - I like both, but think after Harsin, we’re going to be scared of anyone west of the Mississippi.

Program thoughts:
If you manage to land anyone on this list, we have to get the entire program behind them and give them the time needed to rehabilitate. If the big money wants to commit tens of millions of dollars for someone with HC experience I’m for it but we also could be turned down by those guys And have to go with a younger assistant, which is a bigger gamble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News