ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (post-Music City Bowl)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze following Auburn's 31-13 loss to Maryland in the Music City Bowl.

Please follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** "I don't need anyone to tell me when we don't measure up and that starts with me. I feel so awful for the incredible fans who traveled here ... I don't need someone to tell me I didn't get it done. I think our staff and our young men, starting with me, need to create a standard of the way we consistently work, consistently compete and figure out how to be a true team. That's my goal in 2024."

*** Hugh congrats Coach Locksley. "They came prepared and outperformed us."

*** "It's wide open. I think Hank has something to him for sure." - on QB competition going into the offseason. "I'm constantly evaluating players, staff..."

*** On importance of wide receiver class: "I love our wide receiver class. That is a place where we need some depth and playmaking ability. We are definitely banking on them to make us better."

*** "We didn't protect the quarterback well in the first half. We didn't run the ball well in the second half."

*** On Hank Brown and his poise: "Hank has incredible poise. I see it every day when he runs the scout team. He has very little protection but he stands in there and makes throw after throw after throw. He has great humility. He wants to be taught. He wants to learn."

*** Says Hank anticipates throws very well.

*** Where is the biggest disconnect on this team? "I don't know if this is just the case for Auburn but we are battling the disease of me. That's in a lot of areas of life now. We are not exempt to it in the locker room."

*** On the totality of the season and how well positioned this program is: "I'm my hardest critic. I don't think I did a very good job this year with our staff, our team."

*** Question for Rivaldo on breaking tight end record: "All the stats don't mean much. I just wish we would have come out here and win."

*** Hugh says he didn't get involved much with the game plan until this week because of recruiting and evaluating the program. Mentions they didn't run the ball and Maryland dominated the line of scrimmage by loading the box.

*** Question for Austin Keys: Says there was some miscommunication and missed tackles in the first quarter.

*** On the first quarter: "I was really surprised. I thought defensively we would start faster and match up with these guys." Mentions the big screen on the first drive. Misalignment and miscommunication cost them early. Got to look at themselves as coaches first.

*** On what he would do differently this year? "Every game is different."

*** "When we don't get it done, I have to look at myself."

*** On biggest takeaway after first year? "We're incredibly blessed to be at Auburn. Incredibly blessed by our administration and fans. It hurts like heck to not compete. I'm still as confident as ever that this can be an elite program again. It takes recruiting but it also takes a player-led team. We are still learning that."

That's it for Hugh and the two players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News