ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (3-19)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze momentarily as Auburn starts Week 3 of spring practice.

Follow along and refresh for all updates:

*** First, congrats to both the men's and women's basketball teams on making NCAA Tournament.

*** Obviously celebrate with BP and his staff and players on a SEC championship. "To be able to see them pull it off and celebrate with the Auburn family in Nashville on Sunday was an incredible experience."

*** "If I picked a bracket I would pick them all the way through."

*** HF likes the passion and preparation that the coaches have put into everything this spring heading into practice No. 7. "Execution has a way to go as expected but pleased with organizations."

*** Really thought this past Thursday was really good as far as teaching.

*** This week's word is vision. Vision for football and their lives. HF has shared some decisions he has made that weren't the best. So has others.

*** Loves the chemistry of the coaching staff. The players are giving great effort, too.

*** On Auburn offensive and with Derrick Nix: "When we've been our best, it's been 55 percent run to 45 percent pass. If you had that ideal percentage it means you are pretty effective. Some games are skewed a little bit. You have to be able to do both. Have to be consistent in our RPO game, it opens up for us to be more effective in the passing game."

*** Still seeing guys do the small things? "We are going to demand it continues, one way or another, and it is player-led." Says he has a meeting with culture council this afternoon and will see how it is going.

*** On QBs: "Leadership has been really good. It has been inconsistent. We've had a couple of practices where the wind has been tough. I think we have to improve our decision-making. It hasn't been where I want it to be just yet. They are willing to learn. Payton has been pretty good. The other three are learning. I love the way they are approaching it. They can't get enough meeting time. They want to be effective at it. In our tempo period the other day they were really good. When we got to second and long, third and long, they struggled."

*** "Walker is obviously swimming, but he has shown flashes. Payton is the most consistent, and he should be."

*** On Kent Austin being back on the field: "I think he is the best QB coach I have ever been around. He adds value. I need to hear how he sees it from a QB's perspective."

*** On DJ Durkin and the players understanding his message: "In my opinion, I see them responding to his energy and the demands he puts on them they take very well. He's one of the better things I've seen of handling these Thursday teach. He has it organized to a T."

*** Any new guys caught his eye? "Amaris flashes. Waller flashes. Blocton flashes on the defensive front. Joe Phillips has moved to Buck. I think we have some players there that in time will be really good in this league." Mentions Cam Coleman, Lewis, the secondary guys that they signed last year. Tyler Scott, Kayin Lee, Colton Hood. Sylvester Smith.

*** "Relentless effort on defense. DJ is demanding that and he holds them accountable on that." - on what he is looking for heading into a scrimmage "Offensively, staying out of negative plays and taking care of the football."

*** "The quality of our decisions will determine the quality of our life." - HF on sharing decisions he has made in past and showing vulnerability

*** HF says he had to tell his players how he used to find high schools and players' homes back in the day. "Then we had the Garmin. That is when I really lost them."

*** Mentions that he called BP yesterday and that he wants to pick his mind because the basketball players have enjoyed playing together, accepted their role and that BP has done something right to get them to do that. "Dylan Cardwell enjoys every minute on the court."

*** On Junior Day on Saturday: "We're just trying to show who we are at Auburn. Our fit isn't for everyone. It's their job to see if they fit with us and us to decide if they fit with us."

That's it for HF. Have a great Tuesday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News