ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (10/30)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares to travel to Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Excited to sit here with a SEC win. Proud of the improvement I thought the kids showed and the job the staff did.

*** Good to see the players have success on the field. Hopefully we can grow from that.

*** Solid game for sure. Not perfect, far from it. Too many explosive plays given up.

*** Good to see our receivers make some plays. Thought Payton was confident. Offensive line played well.

*** "This is a scary game to me. I always found playing there difficult." - on Vanderbilt

*** On Payton's performance: "He was confident in the plan and it showed. He probably left two throws out there that I thought he should have thrown. He will agree when he sees the film .... We protected him the best, which makes a difference."

*** We went back to what I'm used to, playing tempo.

*** Thought the guys on offense rose to the occasion in the up tempo offense.

*** "I thought our special teams outside of the penalty and muffed kick was on point." - mentions both field goal and punting unit did a great job

*** On Ron Roberts: "One of his strengths is calling the game on game day and making adjustments."

*** On Caleb Burton: "He's earned it (playing time). He kept working and working and working."

*** On offensive line: "Kam Stutts is a warrior who loves Auburn and has given everything he can, but he's beat up. Gunner Britton was beat up some. We have to rotate those guys. It's a long season. We have four more games."

*** On Connor Lew: "Really solid. I think I heard he is going to get freshman player of the week from the SEC. He's very athletic. Sometimes that hurts him. He's moving too fast where he might want to go slower."

*** "There were no conversations. It was more of this is what we are going to do." - on conversation with Monty and Kent Austin on Payton Thorne.

*** Izavion Miller and Marcus Harris should be fine. Nothing seems to be lingering.

*** Mentions that the guys that they were able to get from the high school ranks for last year's recruiting class, they hit on all of those guys.

*** Hugh is going on a mini monologue here about the lack of points in the second half. You will have to watch this for yourselves when we upload the video.

*** On Vanderbilt's offense: "I'm impressed with some of the things they do ... They make me nervous. You look at the way they competed with Georgia. They are going to be in the right spot."

*** On Jarquez Hunter: "Jarquez is getting the bulk of the load right now. He's earned that from the way he comes to practice and the way he leads. He's getting better at being more patient and understanding the blocking."

*** Message to receivers last week? "Clear the clouds. Play the next play."

That's it for Hugh. Enjoy your Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News