ADVERTISEMENT

HS Football - Nice writeup about Moody QB Cole McCarty...

AUAllTheWay

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
from the Anniston Star:
Article Link about the area HS football in general
=============
My input: I've watched most of his play this year. They guy is a playmaker and very accurate. Has made some amazing throws while scrambling and is very elusive.
Edit Note: He has an offer from Navy. IMO, no others needed.

=============

2. Underrated​

The average high school football fan’s knowledge is often limited to the star players in their county and maybe the neighboring county.

Some kids play well enough that people in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham and elsewhere might bring up that “Huntsville kid" for example.

Moody quarterback Cole McCarty deserves that kind of attention. He might not be a household name outside St. Clair County and some neighboring areas, but the entire state should know about “the Moody quarterback.”

In seven games, McCarty has completed 94 of 124 passes for 1,934 yards and 27 passing touchdowns and only three interceptions. He’s also carried the ball 24 times for 136 yards and two additional scores.

His current completion percentage of 75.8 would place him fourth on the AHSAA’s single-season record book, and he’s less than one percent behind second place.

According to MaxPreps, McCarty currently leads the state in both passing yards (1,934) and passing touchdowns (27).*

Moody looks like a team capable of making a deep run in the playoffs, but even if the Blue Devils fall in the first round, McCarty would still find his way into the AHSAA single-season record books if he keeps up his current pace through the next four games.

If McCarty plays 11 games, he’s on pace for:

3,039 passing yards. Would rank 37th

42 passing touchdowns. Would be tied for ninth

46 total touchdowns. Would rank 25th

Most, if not all, the guys ahead of McCarty had the benefit of deep playoff runs. If the Blue Devils do win a few playoff games, then McCarty’s place in history will surely grow as well.

The Moody quarterback has the benefit of playing with several great skill position guys, Arkansas commit Davion Dozier chief among them, but McCarty’s stats aren’t just the byproduct of playing around talented players.

I’ve watched McCarty four times this year. At this point, I’ve seen him make every throw in the books.

He can move the chains with his feet if necessary, but McCarty prefers to use his athleticism to extend plays instead. He will make pass rushers look silly while keeping his eyes downfield, looking for the big play.

According to McCarty’s Twitter feed, he has Division I offers from Navy, North Alabama and UT Martin.

There’s no way that number doesn’t jump in the coming months if it hasn’t already. Not if recruiters are doing their job and paying attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News