ADVERTISEMENT

Had to gather thoughts after that one ...

Bassman

GEN. COUNSEL
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
SoWeGa
because it hurt and I'll never forget it.

That was one of the most amazing Auburn atmospheres ever to occur inside JHS, and I've seen a ton of them by comparison. I don't care who the recruits were, I can promise you they were taken aback by what they saw and felt. Even the Bama fans were, though most would never acknowledge it, or would use it as a backhanded compliment.

Now to the point: one of my favorite "Bible" quotes that's not actually in the Bible is "God helps those who help themselves." Do all within your power, and when you're done doing all you can, put it on God. If it's meant to be, it will happen. If not, it wasn't meant to be.

We can apply this lesson in the contest of Auburn Jesus, Jordan Hare Magic, Auburn mojo or whatever name you wish to put upon the ability of our crowd to elevate the team's play within the friendly confines to the extent that the extraordinary occurs with sufficient regularity that it cannot be written off as sheer luck, and the concept is the same.

If Auburn does all it can, a fully primed JHS can get the team over the hump. It's hard to quantify in empirical terms. You couldn't put a number on it in terms of how much it means in swaying betting odds, e.g. Last time I checked Auburn was still more or less getting the standard homefield boost from Vegas. But it's more than that, and it shows up against our most hated opponents more than anywhere else, although it can appear randomly as well.

But the team must do all it can.

If the teams are within the same ballpark talent-wise and coaching-wise, JHS magic can win a game for Auburn.

It wasn't able to get there last night because the talent differential was simply too great, and we haven't gotten back to where we need to be.

In other words, the better team won, and it won because it had talent far surpassing our own, and in the final moments, that talent shown through.

That really hurts to say. I still can't believe we didn't win, but that's what happened.

It wasn't bad luck or zebras or even poor coaching. The more talented program won because in the end it made plays.

The next time Bama returns to JHS that won't be true. It sucks to "next year" this but if we can get that close with Vandy-esque talent compared to Bama, we can 100% kick the shit out of them the next time we play them here. Maybe even next year there.

Stripping away all the sidebars that was a herculean effort by Auburn that fell just short. It hurts, but we're on the mend and on the way up.

Anyone who can't see that is just too jaded to look. WDE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News