ADVERTISEMENT

Florida's parental rights bill

Guy Forks

First Round Draft Pick
Sep 3, 2018
Prattville, AL
I've been reading into this. I really don't pay much attention to the news. So I am a little behind here. But I am wondering what harm comes from this bill and why the left is pushing back so hard against it? If it were my children, I wouldn't want a teacher discussing gender identity or sexual orientation with them. Especially young kids.

So, what is the counter argument to the bill? Is it because gender identity and sexual orientation are not discussed in the classroom so the bill is being used as a dog whistle? Is it because this bill could lead to something more draconian? Heavy hand of the government sort of thing. I've read in several places how this discriminates against LGBTQ+ children and teachers. But no real explanation how this discrimination happens. Invariably, with the amount of times students and teachers spend together, parts of their personal lives will bleed into the classroom. But for the life of me, I can't imagine a situation where gender identity or sexual orientation would become a topic of discussion in a classroom. Help me understand why this is an issue. Thanks.

Reactions: Thrill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News