ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Gold lands new job

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
I recall when Ray Perkins had beloved bammer play by play legend, John Fornet, fired. It pissed off fans. They have a fondness for nasal vocal tones.

Greg Byrne did not manage the exit of Eli well, at all.

Just marking another placecard in the probable decline of this program. I hold that it’s been a cult of the Saban personality far more that systems and processes “built to last”.

We shall see.

Eli Gold accepts job offer in professional sports​

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

Eli Gold joins Good Day Alabama Extra one day after it was announced he would no longer be the voice of the Crimson Tide football
By Jeffery Winborne
Published: Feb. 22, 2024 at 12:43 PM CST|Updated: 20 hours ago

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Eli Gold, the longtime voice of the Alabama Crimson Tide, did not have to wait long to find another job after the University chose to go in a new direction with their radio broadcast.

During phone interview on Good Day Alabama Extra, Gold said that he was offered two jobs within minutes of the announcement being made that he would not be retained by UA and Learfield Sports.

“I’m thrilled and blessed that within two or three minutes of that press release being sent out yesterday, I was offered two jobs,” Gold said. “One in the pros and the other in the collegiate world. I accepted one of them and the other is still being discussed.”
Gold said the job he accepted is in professional sports and will be officially announced Friday.

During his appearance on Extra, he said that the University of Alabama had prepared a press release stating that Gold was retiring, which he refuted.
“The original press release came out that said I’m retiring. I said, ‘I’m not. I’m not retiring.’ Then they put one out, or had a draft, that said I was stepping down. And I said, ‘I’m not stepping down, I’m being shown the door. I’m not stepping down,’” Gold said. “I didn’t want that to impact potential employers who had jobs and not offered them because, well, Eli is hanging it up. Well, Eli’s not hanging it up. I was blessed to get literally two calls, two offers, within two or three minutes of the press release coming out.”
Eli Gold became the voice of Alabama football in 1988 and went on to call the Tide winning seven national championships, including the historic run of now-retired head coach Nick Saban.
In 2014, he was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News