ADVERTISEMENT

Different Bible Study session today

Bob Mapplethorpe

AKA "MOMO-B"
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2011
Here
We normally go over the previous weeks daily readings. We have a verse to memorize, and a specific lesson to study. One of my best friends on the planet (Matt Blair) has taken the role of head pastor about two years ago at my church. He’s also in my Bible study group for the third year.

When I first met my wife 15 years ago, I told her I didn’t want to meet her son until I knew she and I were seriously committed to each other. I didn’t want to be a smiling face that had to be removed from his life. Three months later we were all happy together and we were engaged. A few years later my son (stepson, but I don’t call him that) developed a friendship with a kid that quickly started going down the wrong path. He started going to youth ministry with my son. It never really sunk in, but planted a seed. This young man began to stray and have serious drug problems and got involved in terrible activities. He dropped out of high school, and eventually ended up charged with crimes and was sentenced to two years in juvenile detention. My friend/pastor Matt began to visit, call, email, and send letters to him weekly. During his time in incarceration, he began to read his Bible daily, and put his faith in Christ. When he got out, he got his GED, and went on to join an ambulance company as a paramedic. He was also a volunteer firefighter, and began to mentor kids at the detention center he was once in. Oddly enough, when he had turned his focus to our Lord and Savior, my son had begun to walk away from his faith. They never reconnected due to being on opposite sides of faith from both angles at different times.

My son has begun to reconnect with our church through encouragement from me and my wife, and especially my friend and pastor. He was talking about reconnecting with his friend Dillon just a few weeks ago. Dillon, that had climbed out of a troubled youth, and turned his life around found himself in a situation he thought he couldn’t overcome last week. He began using again, and took his life on Saturday.

My son is absolutely beating himself up over never reconnecting. My friend Matt was obviously worn out today when we got to church for Bible study. We talked longer than usual about how all of our weeks have been thus far. There were only three of us today, so Matt explained the situation to the third member of our group. Matt began to tear up and absolutely broke down sobbing. I got up and went over to him and hugged him while we cried for a long time. He has to give the visitation tomorrow, and the service Thursday. He’s so low right now, he’s beside himself and lost. We didn’t do our normal study routine. We just talked and talked and prayed. We have to remember that our pastors have a lot of weight on them any given day of the week. We go to them with our problems, and they greet us willingly with a smiling face. They are human too, and they need our love and prayers. They don’t always feel good on Sunday’s like us, but they show up. They show up and lead. Jesus not only prayed with many, but he went off to be alone to pray. Think about that; Jesus, 100% God, and %100 man went off to be alone and pray to The Father.

I’m asking for my friends here that truly believe, to please pray for my buddy Matt Blair extra hard. Pray for Dillon’s three year old daughter. Pray that Matt can keep it together for the service, and can find peace and strength going forward. He gives an absolutely awesome message on Sundays. He truly has a gift. He needs prayer too. @bprockman_100 you should ride up and go to worship with me Sunday. I have a friend attending you would love to meet, and will be close friends with very soon when he gets to AU.

I know this is long and drawn out, and a doves nest constructed message. I just wanted to share and ask for prayers for all involved, especially Matt and Dillon’s infant daughter.

I love you guys, and thanks for letting me come here and share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News