ADVERTISEMENT

article from The Athletic on recruiting the state of Alabama

crococile22

CALL ME "CROCKY POO"
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2019
https://theathletic.com/

Inside Alabama recruiting: Coaches explain Nick Saban’s success, Bryan Harsin’s struggles​

Inside Alabama recruiting: Coaches explain Nick Saban’s success, Bryan Harsin’s struggles

By Aaron Suttles
5h ago

You may have heard that this is a banner year for in-state recruiting in the state of Alabama. If not, let me lay it out for you.
There are seven five-star players in the 247Sports Composite. Seven of the top 32 players in the country hail from the Yellowhammer State. Eleven recruits are in the top 100 and 15 are in the top 200. If you make your living procuring talent, it’s a good year to hop on I-65 and the backroads of Alabama.
ADVERTISEMENT

That talent is being spread around, too. Of the top 10 players in the state, two are uncommitted, three are verbally pledged to Nick Saban and Alabama, two are committed to Clemson, one to Georgia, one to Florida and one to Florida State.
You might notice that Auburn isn’t represented on that list. That’s a problem, both in perception and reality, for Bryan Harsin and his coaching staff. The Tigers’ 2023 recruiting class currently ranks 54th with 10 commitments, having added three pledges since Sept. 15. That ranks 13th out of 14th in the SEC, a cutthroat league that takes no prisoners and spares no feelings when it comes to recruiting. After four-star receiver Karmello English decommitted last week, Auburn’s top-rated in-state commitment is four-star running back Jeremiah Cobb, who is ranked 15th.
Top 15 in-state recruits for 2023
STATEPLAYERPOSCOLLEGENAT'LHS
1James SmithDLTBA14Carver (Montgomery)
2Christopher VizzinaQBClemson19Briarwood Christian (Birmingham)
3Jahlil HurleyCBAlabama23Florence
4Qua RussawEdgeTBA26Carver (Montgomery)
5AJ HarrisCBGeorgia27Central (Phenix City)
6Peter WoodsDLClemson31Thompson (Alabaster)
7Tony MitchellSAlabama32Thompson (Alabaster)
8Wilkin FormbyOTAlabama71Northridge (Tuscaloosa)
9Kelby CollinsDLFlorida79Gardendale
10Keldric FaulkDLFlorida State88Highland Home
11Tomarrion ParkerDLTBA96Central (Phenix City)
12Yhonzae PierreEdgeAlabama104Eufaula
13Hunter OsborneDLAlabama128Hewitt-Trussville
14Karmello EnglishWRTBA155Central (Phenix City)
15Jeremiah CobbRBAuburn187Montgomery Catholic
Alabama hasn’t swept the board, either, for players it wanted to keep in-state, losing five-star defensive lineman Peter Woods to Clemson, but it’s hitting on most of the players it wants. The Crimson Tide have commitments from five of the state’s top 13 players thus far. In the end, it might come down to where Carver High School teammates James Smith and Qua Russaw (both five-star recruits) sign. If Alabama gets both, it’s a home run year for the Crimson Tide in-state.
So what does it take to recruit this state effectively? As part of a recurring series of state recruiting confidential stories, The Athletic spoke to high school coaches around the state to understand how Alabama and Auburn recruit, which out-of-state programs have made inroads and which recruiters stand out. Coaches were granted anonymity in exchange for candid remarks. Any identifiable comments were removed to ensure anonymity.
Here’s the panel:
  • Coach 1: Head coach in the Birmingham area
  • Coach 2: Head coach in the Mobile area
  • Coach 3: Head coach in East Alabama
  • Coach 4: Head coach in West Alabama
  • Coach 5: Head coach in North Alabama
  • Coach 6: Head coach in Central Alabama
USATSI_19063972-scaled.jpg

Nick Saban has signed the No. 1 class in the 247Sports Composite nine times. (Marvin Gentry / USA Today)

How would you describe the way Alabama recruits your players?

Coach 1: I think Nick Saban has changed the whole landscape of recruiting in the fact that they do such a great job of evaluation. What I’ve liked about what they do: They’ve been very honest about situations.
ADVERTISEMENT

Coach 3: Alabama’s one of those programs that everywhere I’ve been they do a good job. I think, of course, they go after those big-time guys. You don’t really see them a ton when you don’t have those big-time players, but those guys are always around. Coach Saban’s great at helping anytime you need anything. He does a great job of helping out high school coaches.
Coach 6: Once they decide they want a guy, I don’t think anybody does any better in what they do being very thorough in the recruiting process. Probably the best thing they do is what they do on visits. I mean, their presentation is unbelievable.
Coach 2: I think Alabama does a really good job recruiting. They initially come in when the kids are young and they stay focused on the kids and have a great relationship with them. I think Alabama does a great job. I say great job from the point of I don’t think they smother the kids. I think they let their desires and their interest in a player be known, but they don’t smother them. Now, they do stay in touch and they do check on the kid regularly. They call me regularly. They’re real professional about talking to me and letting me know what’s going on with recruiting with kids. I don’t think they slack. They’re on top of the situation.
Coach 4: Alabama is just like you would think it would be. It’s a machine. You’re gonna get tools the day before that they’re coming. Very structured. Very organized. It’s very professional. But at the same time, you’re going to get really good conversation with those guys. It’s not a robotic-type deal. They’re really good recruiters. They’re down to earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News