ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody here watch the Ole Miss spring game? I watched the replay last night...

Archie

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2002
Huntsville, AL
and was entertained. Game was set up for the offenses to score a bunch of points and both offenses did; defenses were handicapped by only being able to line up in 3-4 base defenses and the DC could only call 3 plays, no bliztes or defensive stunts, no more that 4 or 5 pass rushers, depending on what defense they were in.

Their new DC, Pete Golding, from last years Bama team, said pregame the final score might be 81-80. It didn't quite get that bad but the Red team scored on the last two plays of the game (including a 2-point conversion) to win 53-52.

Now, while I cant tell from their game how good or bad they'll be when real football is played, I was impressed with their offensive personnel....on both their red and blue teams, Skill players everywhere....at QB, RB, and, of course, WRs and TEs. A LOT of new transfer skill players who looked pretty damn good.

I thought Sanders looked good at QB. Made me wonder why we didn't really pursue him all over again. Dart looked more poised and also looked pretty stout. Their 3rd QB, the transfer from LSU who was a 5-star QB in high school was not as polished as Sanders or Dart but showed potential.

Their receiving corps, including the TEs, was the most impressive group on the team; 2 transfer wideouts looked really good and a transfer TE looked even better.

They also had a new RB (or one returning I didn't know about) who looked really good....buit along the lines of the freshman RB from last year from Alabama, mayve even a step quicker.

I don't know how bad that defense actually is because it was so handicapped.....I cant read any team's fall results by what happens in spring games....I don't know if Ole Miss will go 9-3 in the Fall or 6-6 (because of that defense) but the game made a couple of impressions on me....

- Lane Kiffen knows how to use the transfer portal, likely as well as anybody, especially on offense...

- He identifies skill players as well as anybody in the game, in my opinion...

- He also knows how to move the damn football and put points on the board....

Final impression....for as long as both Kiffen and Freeze are in the league, we will always compare how they do against each other on the field as well as how they build and manage their rosters....especially the portal.

If you watched it, what did you think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News