ADVERTISEMENT

A modest pro-Bruce, pro-AU basketball branding proposal (deep six the AU v bammer halftime "Foy Trophy")

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm sure the original intent was harmless, perhaps driven in part by using the potent football brand as a gimmick to get fans to the less popular (back then, not now) basketball games.

But for my sporting money, there now needs to be a firm resolve for Auburn basketball, and all that surrounds it in Neville Arena, to be SOLELY about, well, Auburn basketball. Of course we all dig football, so there are exceptions like welcoming and introducing a new Auburn head football coach.

But the Foy Trophy (Iron Bowl winner) has become mostly laughable in my opinion, and when AU wins an Iron Bowl, the bammer douche canoe rarely sings our fight song. It's just outlived it's branding usefulness. And in the game at Coleman air hangar, the broadcasters surrendered 5-10 minutes of basketball air time to QB Jalen Milroe, and then to golfer Nick Dunlap (OK, his big cash-in).

That is all. Basketball has arrived in our state, especially in the Neville. Start acting like it.

E5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News