ADVERTISEMENT

Would we take the Miami approach to coaching change?

jbb

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Hoover, Al
Like everyone else, I am ready for Harsin to go and believe we should have cut bait right after the Ole Miss game. I share many’s JABA fear that we will wait too long to make our move, drag out the process of hiring a replacement and set us back another year in early recruiting/portal movement. I hope that Roberts really is different and as an Engineer myself I’m partial to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If we are going to wait on letting Harsin go, and we are not going to JABA this thing, the most important factor is when we hire the new coach, regardless of who that ends being. They must be in place with time before the early signing day, MUST! It can’t happen at Christmas again like our last search. This is much more important than when Harsin gets let go, no matter how much we all want him out now.

So the alternative is what Miami did last year. They fired Manny Diaz and hired Christobal almost simultaneously on the same day. It was Dec 6, leaving Christobal 2 weeks to manage early signing and portal moves. It got some bad press, but no one really cares now. Here is an article on how it went down. (Interestingly, Miami was also hiring a new AD at the same time as well).

Would Auburn be bold enough to make a similar move at the end of this season?

Seems to be one of three options at this point. Either we fire him prior to WKU or bama games with a shorter interim window before we hire a replacement either the Monday after Iron Bowl or Monday after conference Championship weekend. Or we go the JABA way and fire him after the Iron Bowl, hire a search firm, form a committee, drag it out and miss early signing day. Or we do it the Miami way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News