ADVERTISEMENT

With the recent ouster of AD Greene, what can Harsin do to shift the narrative that he's a dead man walking?

murray_hitchock

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2020
Most of the predictions I've seen on this board put us anywhere between 5-7 and 9-3. I'm in the more optimistic camp, I actually think Auburn should be good for 8-9 wins this year.

Even so, I don't think it changes the overall trajectory of the Harsin era. Not much, anyway. Even if he wins 8-9 this year and survives to see year 3, I don't expect his third team to be much better than his first team simply due to all the players leaving and the fact that Harsin has yet to prove he can recruit at an elite level.

Basically, if he's not fired this year, he'll be fired next year.

Harsin desperately needs a talking point in his favor. Sneaking in the backdoor and winning the west this year would do it. Beating Alabama and Georgia would do it. I obviously don't see that happening.

But if I'm being completely honest, every single day that ticks by where we look at the recruiting board and see only 7 signees, the less likely this whole experiment works out. And right now, barring some significant signature wins from Harsin, I don't think that is going to change much.

I've been a vocal supporter of Harsin since Day 1. I like the guy, I think he's a good football coach, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that he simply lacks the political skills to get shit done here. I hope like hell I'm wrong. I'd like to see Auburn start 5-0, beat Georgia, pick up some major momentum in recruiting, and quiet the doubters. But it's a tall, tall order.

Harsin has only one path forward: to win big. That's probably not fair, but this conference has never been fair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News