ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t the cops in Atlanta call the guys next of kin to come get him?

Avoid altercation and give the guy a chance to uber or have a wife or friend pick him up. If I am ATL Pd I got real shit to deal with. I had a B’ham cop tell me this very thing once. Said, “you think I have time to take your ass down to the station and spend an hour doing paper work? I am going to give you a shot to call someone before I have to do that, we got bigger things to worry about”

Lol, I love you. You will never give up on a bit...you are the Benjy Bronk of the stern show.
Thanks Korn, but I don’t know who Benjy is, but I stand by the assertion. Protect and Serve does not mean arrest and throw in a cell.

Arrest, issue citation and keep the citizen, the cops and the community safe.

Reactions: Boisgreat
Wouldn’t the public be protected and the citizen served if he was taken to his home safely?
Say his girlfriend he kept referencing in the video comes and picks him up, they circle the block for 5-10 minutes, they go back to Wendy’s to get his car so it’s at home in the morning, he gets in an accident and kills someone on the way back to his hotel (or wherever he was staying). What happens to the police officers in this case?

Thanks Korn, but I don’t know who Benjy is, but I stand by the assertion. Protect and Serve does not mean arrest and throw in a cell.

Until someone, or Uber, picks him up and takes him home. 30 minutes later he's thirsty and gets in another car to drive to the bar, and waffles a family of 4, killing 3 of them. Family sues the city and police officer for releasing him to drive drunk again instead of arresting him and getting a menace off the streets.

tenor.gif

@ConnerAU

Reactions: ConnerAU
Say his girlfriend he kept referencing in the video comes and picks him up, they circle the block for 5-10 minutes, they go back to Wendy’s to get his car so it’s at home in the morning, he gets in an accident and kills someone on the way back to his hotel (or wherever he was staying). What happens to the police officers in this case?

by that logic every drunk person should be arrested

Reactions: jrodb24 and Thrill
The car is towed and impounded. You don’t let him close to his car for 24 hours.

Reactions: jrodb24 and au_goat
Tow his car?

If police come in contact with him, and don't arrest him, then they are often sued for what comes after. It happens all the time, not to mention the deaths and injuries that come from it.

Being sued is better than killing someone imo

Reactions: Powerman26
The car is towed and impounded. You don’t let him close to his car for 24 hours.
Tow his car?
That’s a fine solution. But I think getting drunk to the point of passing out in a drive thru warrants stiffer consequences than calling a family member and having your car towed. Do you think he should at least still be cited with a DUI to appear at later date?

The problem in this case isn’t that the police were trying to arrest a man for DUI where he had failed his field sobriety test miserably. The problem in this case is that he then chose to resist, assault the officer, take the officers taser, and pointed the taser at the officer.

That’s a fine solution. But I think getting drunk to the point of passing out in a drive thru warrants stiffer consequences than calling a family member and having your car towed. Do you think he should at least still be cited with a DUI to appear at later date?

The problem in this case isn’t that the police were trying to arrest a man for DUI where he had failed his field sobriety test miserably. The problem in this case is that he then chose to resist, assault the officer, take the officers taser, and pointed the taser at the officer.

All of that is accurate. They still shouldn’t have shot him. He was running away. They were not in danger.

Reactions: Thrill
Gotcha. Cause nobody has access to more than one car...
Is he itching to go back out driving? How do you know that? Maybe he’s totally shaken by the interaction with the cops, the potential felony charges he is facing and wants to sleep it off.

Isn’t seeing the humanity in him better than killing him?

Not a troll. I get the need for consequences, but what if they issued a citation, summoned him to court to face his DUI, then had someone come pick him up to take him home?

cops are rough too, cuff, over tighten, throw your ass in cop car then make you hang in a drunk tank etc. I have never done this. But just know from others. Then you pay off some judge and never gets on your record. Just skip bullshit and issue the ticket or whatever.

Glad they didn’t kill Carlos Dunlap when he passed out drunk at a red light. By all accounts he’s a good dude and had made good on his NFL career.
—-
Florida Gators starting defensive end Carlos Dunlap was arrested and charged with driving under the influence early Tuesday morning in Gainesville.

Florida coach Urban Meyer announced after practice Tuesday evening that Dunlap has been suspended indefinitely from the team and will not play for the No. 1 Gators against No. 2 Alabama for the SEC Championship on Saturday in Atlanta's Georgia Dome.

Meyer says he is "stunned" by Dunlap's actions.

"Carlos obviously made a very poor decision," Meyer said. "I have not spoke to him or his family yet. He's not going to play. But I want to visit with him and his family first and go from there."

Meyer acknowledged that the situation was a distraction as his team prepares for a matchup that has national championship implications. But he also said his players might be able to overcome it, much like they did flulike symptoms and linebacker Brandon Spikes' suspension for dirty play.

"We've had distraction after distraction," Meyer said. "This is a rather serious one, obviously, so it is a distraction. Sometimes this team's found ways to get a little tighter in distractions. We've had a few of them this year."

Dunlap, a junior from North Charleston, S.C., was arrested at 3:25 a.m. near campus and was booked into the jail at 5:52 a.m., Gainesville Police Department spokesman Lt. Keith Kameg said.

He was released on his own recognizance about six hours later during his initial appearance at the Alachua County Jail. Judge Mary Day Coker admonished Dunlap for underage drinking, and said he cannot possess alcohol, illegal drugs or prescription drugs that are not prescribed for him.

He was told not to drive a motor vehicle without a license, and if caught driving without a license, he would violate the terms of his release. The judge released Dunlap without bond because he has no prior adjudications and no failures to appear in court.

Wearing a jail-issued, green-and-white striped jumpsuit, Dunlap spoke softly when asked questions and always replied "Yes, ma'am," to the judge.

"We are aware of the incident and are currently gathering more information," Florida athletics spokesman Steve McClain said Tuesday morning.

Kameg said officers responded to a reckless driving complaint and found Dunlap's 2000 Chrysler stopped at a traffic light near the 200 block of W. 34th Street.

Kameg said officers found Dunlap's car stopped at a green light.

"They approached the car and found the suspect slumped over in the driver's seat," Kameg said. "He appeared to be asleep. The car's windows were cracked so they attempted to wake him up. They talked to him and he would only open his eyes for a few seconds and then fall back asleep."

Is he itching to go back out driving? How do you know that? Maybe he’s totally shaken by the interaction with the cops, the potential felony charges he is facing and wants to sleep it off.

Isn’t seeing the humanity in him better than killing him?
Right back atcha, how do you know he won't? Maybe he's had a nap, good to go, needs another drink at the bar. Maybe he's feeling cocky that he tricked those stupid cops into letting him go, so he needs to celebrate with a brew down the road. Whose life are you willing to risk that you're guess is right and my guess is wrong?

What's the more foreseeable outcome when the cop is making the decision to place him under arrest and pull out his cuffs? "Hmm, if I let this drunk bastard go, he might get behind the wheel again and kill someone next time." or "Hmm, if I tell this drunk bastard he is under arrest, he may resist, assault me, take my weapon and fire it at me, and then I'll have to kill him."

You can argue all day whether the officer should have fired his weapon at this guy under the circumstances after the assault. I can see it either way. But it's just silly to say the cop shouldn't have arrested a drunk driver because he might resist. Why would a cop ever make a DUI arrest if you think like that?

Auburn PD did that for me in 85.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT