ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with college basketball? Re declining viewership....

auburnma

First Round Draft Pick
Jul 10, 2003
Listening to Cowherd today, some of the viewing stats were really concerning. The viewership in the conference tourneys was down 40% year over year from 4 years ago. I have to say, the product, outside of just a VERY few teams, is absolutely awful to watch. Virginia, while piling up a ton of wins, was terrible to watch. What is the cause of this?

One thing BSPN keeps saying is that it's overcoached. By that, they mean that every possession is uber repetitive and not free flowing enough. Just one back door cut after another. I'm not sure what to point the finger at in regards to this.

I will say this though. I took off work and watched nearly every game of the first two rounds start to finish. And they were nearly all like watching Army vs Navy football. 99% of the game, they are an absolute snooze fest.

The biggest problem that I can see with the naked eye is that it's strategic fouling throughout the game. Not just that. It's strategic fouling masquerading as great defense. I'm sorry, but the first to 55 points wins is not my idea of great basketball.

It seems that almost none of the coaches are really innovative in terms of what they try to do on the court. As a result, pretty much all of the top talent goes to about three or four schools.

Just my thoughts.... What say the bunker?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News