ADVERTISEMENT

What I looked for, and what I saw Mercer Game

yy4u

First Round Draft Pick
Jan 12, 2007
Offense:

1. Center - I was looking for snap consistency. I was a bit surprised with both consistency, as well as the number of snaps under center. That could be related. Even more I feel like we have an upgrade with the replacement of the injured Brahms in blocking.

2. OT - I was optimistic with the move of Troxell to RG, where I think he is better suited as a run blocker. He had a solid game, even with the holding call. Zeirer at LT is a better pass protector. Coffee is likely our 1st off the bench for either spot in case of injury.

3. OG - I did not see much improvement with inside push, and our guards really struggled to reach 2nd level blocks and get a hat on those defenders.

4. QB - I don’t want to read too much into Mercer, but TJ was on and off. The real surprise was how fast and effective Ashford was as a runner.

5. TE - Mostly I was looking for more TE-centric offensive schemes. Not just as receivers, but in blocking and pass pro schemes. Lined up at both TE and HB formations, as well as split wide. I think our OL and RB’s will need us to lean on them heavily to be effective.

6. OC - I liked some of the playcalls from Kiesau. We certainly have made a step up in that regard. The speed-sweep option play was a unique twist.

Defense:

7. DL - I think this could end up being our team strength. Not as dominant as uat or uga, but solid and physical. Wooden is the leader imo. I think Hall and Leotta are more physical. I think Harris, Jones, and Burkes give us solid play as well. Substitution rotations will be key.

8. LB - I felt like our run fills would be our weak spot, but against Mercer it was solid. I look for SEC OC’s to try to exploit this group.

9. DB - I was impressed with Scott as an athlete. We seem to be more S-centric than true cover CB skillset. Kauffman looked good at Nickel, but OC’s are gonna line up 4 and 5 receivers to get a favorable match-up against our weakest link in coverage, so Zac will need to match up the right guys against that.

10. DC - I liked our personnel usage and alignments. No doubt in my mind that these will be a far more effective use of our talent than the last DC.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.