ADVERTISEMENT

Went to basketball practice today

bnker23740

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2004
Birmingham, Al
Lasted about an hour and a half. First 30 minutes a lot of shooting drills, divided them into team, competitive stuff, which team could make the most 3's in a given period. All of the guards shot ok, the team with Denver and Kelly won most of the time.
With through some defensive drills, the 1's and 2's alternating, going against the walkons. Couldn't really tell a lot, but the walkons had a real hard time getting a shot off. Of course if they did we'd have big problems.
The last 30 minutes or so was a scrimmage. The ones were Kelly at point, Denver at 2, CBM, Broome, and Johnson. Twos were Cardwell, Pegues at point, Pettiford at 2, Jahki Howard at 3, and Moore and Hudson alternating at 4. REAL physical practice, they got after it. I don't remember any of the guards taking a 3 point shot. The ones as you'd expect won but it was competitive.
Cardwell and Broome going against each other was fun to watch, they were really getting after it.
Again it was a short practice in July but some observations:

Chaney Johnson looked really good, you can tell the game has slowed down for him since last year, he also looks bigger and stronger. At the end of practice when the whole team was running sprints, he was ahead of everyone.
You can tell Kelly is an upper classman, he has a more developed body than Pettiford, looks stronger, more grown up.
In drills Pettiford and Pegues were shooting ok, but not just great like I would have liked to see.
Jahki Howard looks great on the hoof, and in drills, but he got lost on defense in the scrimmage a couple of times and gave up baskets, had one really nice breakaway dunk.
Pegues was steady, didn't turn the ball over, you can tell he has a lot of experience
Pettiford reminded me a little of Holloway last year in that he is not as physical as the other guards on defense. However just based on what I saw today I think he'll be a better player.
Hudson is a banger, really physical, he won't be a big scorer, will get a lot of put backs, garbage points, etc.

During the scrimmage CBM, Pettiford, and Kelly all either talked back to Bruce or sulked when he told them something. At the end of practice he brought the team to the other side of the court from where all the observers were and just lit in to them, saying there will be no showing him up, backtalking, etc. The were a lot of MF's and bull$hit's unleashed. He was really pissed.

In a nutshell I'd say they're very much a work in process. They will be 11 deep, real physical. How good we'll be will depend on how good the guards are. As a group just based on today, I think our 3 new guards as a group are an upgrade from the three that transferred out
That's all

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.