ADVERTISEMENT

We need two more juco DTs in this class.

AuburnLegacy

All-American
Jan 23, 2003
Jonathan Taylor (6-4, 330), former Georgia DT, 3 years to play 2
Greg Webb (6-1, 312), former UNC DT, 3 years to play 3 (former Penn State commitment)

We would take a public relations hit for signing a player with a history of domestic violence and a player with academic issues (Academic Progress Rate), but these guys could help up win a championship in 2015.

Taylor, 4 star, 2012 UnderArmor all-American Bowl selection
Webb, 4 star, 2013 U.S. Army All-American Bowl selection (currently committed to Temple)

We are set up to sign elite high school defensive tackles next year, but those guys cannot help us this year. These two guys can.

Neither of these guys are being recruited. Webb may get a look but Taylor will not.

I am just saying...

We have five defensive tackles on scholarship. Three have never played a down of D1 college football. Two are redshirt freshmen. We obviously need kids who can step in and contribute now, and we desperately need upperclassmen in our playing rotation. All the five star HS defensive tackles in the world are not ready to complete week in and out in the SEC. We need guys who can play next fall. We also must stop this nonsense of playing defensive ends at tackle and defensive backs on the line because we cannot generate a pass rush. We have to sign two more junior college transfers to play the 1 and 3 techniques if we continue to run the 4-3 scheme

The only other alternative is moving to a 3-4 scheme that would allow us to rotate Adams, Lawrence, Swain, and possibly Russell at nose and play any combination of Lambert, President, Daniel, Harrell, Russell, Williams, and whatever high school kid we sign at the ends. We then could play Lawson, Kennion, Thornton, and whatever elite high school kid we sign at the buck position. We would be sound on the defensive line next year if we did that. Our linebacker play would be critical, however. We would need Kris Frost, Cassanova McKinzy, Tre Williams, Cameron Toney, JaViere Mitchell, Justin Garrett, Kenny Flowers, and Anthony Swain to play a h*ll of a lot of football at a high level and much bigger than their actual size to fit the scheme. McKinzey, Toney, and Swain are the only linebackers that are even close to 250 pounds. I kind of expect Frost to declare. Either way, we will be fine in the secondary returning Jones, Matthews, Ford, Holsey, Roberts, Moncreif, Ruffin, Bessent, Melton, Alexander, Davis, and VanGorder--a group that led the SEC in interceptions and tied for fifth most nationally.

The downside to the 3-4 is from here on out we will be going head-to-head with Uat for every dominate zero technique and buck linebacker available. I would prefer to stay with the 4-3 and fight for 1 and 3 techniques.

Re: I am just saying...

Muschamp is not going to the 3-4.

ADVERTISEMENT