ADVERTISEMENT

Very unpopular commentary here...

AuburnLegacy

All-American
Jan 23, 2003
Even if we win out, I foresee one scenario where we arguably do not deserve to get the final playoff spot. Kansas State has a remaining schedule that is tougher than our remaining schedule. They play at No. 7 TCU, host No. 20 West Virginia, and go to No. 13 Baylor. If they navigate that schedule, they have a legitimate argument for knocking us out of the last playoff spot. They dominated us in their game against us. We just happened to come out on top on the scoreboard.

Assuming (1) Miss State takes care of Alabama, Ole Miss, and Missouri in the SEC Championship Game; (2) Florida State handles Miami, Florida, and Duke in the ACC Championship Game; and (then-No. 3) Oregon bests Utah,Oregon State, and Arizona/Arizona State in the PAC-10 Championship Game, our biggest competition would come from the team we already beat.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this. K-State with wins @Olka, @TCU, @West Virginia, and @Baylor would look pretty strong. Thankfully, they are not a "sexy" pick, but they would have one h*ll of a football team.

The committee would not deny Oregon. It would make financial or geographic sense.

K-State is potentially the fly in the ointment.

Legacy you said "They dominated us in their game against us.

We just happened to come out on" - Really? We had more total yards, more first downs even with 6 penalties to their zero penalties. They missed 3 field goals, we dropped 3 sure TD catches. I was at the game and I don't know how you would say they dominated us that game, please explain.

Disagree. If we win out our only loss is to No.1, that is if MSU wins out. We would have beaten No.4, No.5, and No.9. All three on the road. We have beaten two top 10 teams on the road. the rest of the top 10 has beaten a total of 4 top 10 teams all at home. I feel if Auburn wins out they are in the playoffs.

Originally posted by AuburnLegacy:
Even if we win out, I foresee one scenario where we arguably do not deserve to get the final playoff spot. Kansas State has a remaining schedule that is tougher than our remaining schedule. They play at No. 7 TCU, host No. 20 West Virginia, and go to No. 13 Baylor. If they navigate that schedule, they have a legitimate argument for knocking us out of the last playoff spot. They dominated us in their game against us. We just happened to come out on top on the scoreboard.

Assuming (1) Miss State takes care of Alabama, Ole Miss, and Missouri in the SEC Championship Game; (2) Florida State handles Miami, Florida, and Duke in the ACC Championship Game; and (then-No. 3) Oregon bests Utah,Oregon State, and Arizona/Arizona State in the PAC-10 Championship Game, our biggest competition would come from the team we already beat.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this. K-State with wins @Olka, @TCU, @West Virginia, and @Baylor would look pretty strong. Thankfully, they are not a "sexy" pick, but they would have one h*ll of a football team.

The committee would not deny Oregon. It would make financial or geographic sense.

K-State is potentially the fly in the ointment.
Nope. I don't care if KState beats the New England Patriots. A head to head loss to Auburn on your home field means, if both are undefeated, AU is in.

I think both will lose again but I hope not because that would be one heck of a scenaro for the committe to navigate.

This post was edited on 11/4 10:00 AM by Sanctions Stand

Rebuttal

First, I hope you are right, but...

The committee will be under a lot of pressure to place four of the power five conference champions in first college playoff. (1) SEC Champ Mississippi State, (2) ACC Champ Florida State, and (3) PAC-10 Champ Oregon would have 12 or 13 wins each. Big 12 Champion Kansas State would have beaten four bowl eligible teams in their last five games, including a top 10, top 15, and top 20 team on the road. Auburn would have beaten eight-to-10 bowl eligible teams (depending on how San Jose St. and South Carolina finish out).

Conference Titles KSU
Strength of Schedule KSU/AU (perceived tie)
Head-to-head AU

Re: Rebuttal

Why would they be under pressure to place four of the power five conference champions in the playoffs? I thought the goal was to put the four best teams in the playoffs.

Re: Rebuttal

if they wanted nothing but conference champions, they should have set that in motion from the start.

I think you are overthinking this. If Auburn, Alabama or Miss State win out they will be in the 4 team bracket and have a shot to play for the NC.

Whether another SEC team makes it depends on how the regular season plays out, who loses to who and when. If Auburn takes care of business they may not make Atlanta but they will be in the top 4.

Again, I may be wrong, but I do not trust this "playoff system." I think in the end (a.k.a. Dec. 7) way too much credit will be given to conference champions and four of the five conferences will be represented in the first college playoff. People cannot see it yet but that is because there aren't any conference champions yet. The SEC will get one or no teams in the playoff.

Re: Legacy you said "They dominated us in their game against us.

KSU left 16 points on the field. Its best player deflected a touchdown pass up in the air, and we intercepted it in our own end zone. KSU was -2 in the turnover battle in the game. Two of our field goals--the difference in the game--came off short fields due to turnovers. All of KSU's scoring came on sustained drives; they were NOT aided by turnovers. KSU destroyed us on special teams, specifically return yardage, 106-0. When you factor that into total offense, we were outgained us 391-359. Had K-State made its field goals and caught its sure touchdown pass, the score would have been 30-20. They literally beat us all over the field.

Re: Legacy you said "They dominated us in their game against us.

Originally posted by AuburnLegacy:
KSU left 16 points on the field. Its best player deflected a touchdown pass up in the air, and we intercepted it in our own end zone. KSU was -2 in the turnover battle in the game. Two of our field goals--the difference in the game--came off short fields due to turnovers. All of KSU's scoring came on sustained drives; they were NOT aided by turnovers. KSU destroyed us on special teams, specifically return yardage, 106-0. When you factor that into total offense, we were outgained us 391-359. Had K-State made its field goals and caught its sure touchdown pass, the score would have been 30-20. They literally beat us all over the field.
except on the score board and that was early in the season. different AU team now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT