ADVERTISEMENT

Update #? (More numbers from the coast-echoing @stevesawbone)

“These are the darkest days of this pandemic,” said Dr. Catherine O’Neal, chief medical officer of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. “We are no longer giving adequate care to patients. ... We no longer think we are giving adequate care to anybody.”

O’Neal and other doctors in Louisiana said the biggest bottleneck was staffing, with many nurses out sick with COVID. The state has a deficit of over 6,000 nurses right now, officials said.”

“These are the darkest days of this pandemic,” said Dr. Catherine O’Neal, chief medical officer of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. “We are no longer giving adequate care to patients. ... We no longer think we are giving adequate care to anybody.”

O’Neal and other doctors in Louisiana said the biggest bottleneck was staffing, with many nurses out sick with COVID. The state has a deficit of over 6,000 nurses right now, officials said.”

I bet a lot of the nurses getting the virus are unvaccinated. It’s more common than one would expect for healthcare workers to refuse it.

yep. It actually uses your own immune system against you when you can’t breathe, shit gets serious fast.
Yes. And its happening to teenagers. Healthy ones at that. Its not behaving like the alpha variant did. And, people that arent paying attention or are being willfully stubborn about it, do so at their own risk

I bet a lot of the nurses getting the virus are unvaccinated. It’s more common than one would expect for healthcare workers to refuse it.

Yeah, I’ve been surprised by resistance from healthcare workers.
Strange days

Reactions: Big Blue

I was surprised to hear they include those in healthcare that have no medical background.

I was surprised to hear they include those in healthcare that have no medical background.
That “hospital workers who have direct contact with patients” part seems relevant though. Even if they aren’t docs or nurses, anybody having contact with patients is a concern. The percentage of docs and nurses vaccinated should be essentially 100%. No excuse for those folks to refuse it.

Reactions: OrigAUgirl
That “hospital workers who have direct contact with patients” part seems relevant though. Even if they aren’t docs or nurses, anybody having contact with patients is a concern. The percentage of docs and nurses vaccinated should be essentially 100%. No excuse for those folks to refuse it.
I’m just saying that many workers have no medical background. So if they say 30% of healthcare workers won’t get it, people don’t realize many of these people know anymore than any person in other fields. They are custodians, security, secretaries, etc.

Reactions: Big Blue
I’m just saying that many workers have no medical background. So if they say 30% of healthcare workers won’t get it, people don’t realize many of these people know anymore than any person in other fields. They are custodians, security, secretaries, etc.

This is true, most of our unvaccinated in our hospital system are also those of high school education backgrounds. Our maintenance and custodial services makes up 90% of our unvaccinated.

The nutty anti vax conservatives are insane. But minority groups aren't taking the vaccine either. They don't trust the government.

It isn't just a conservative thing.

In Alabama, it's about equal. Here are the current vaccine numbers by race:

Whites: 31.6%
Blacks: 31.8%

So, even with all the "Tuskegee experiment" concerns, more black people in Alabama have gotten vaccinated than white people.

What excuse do white people have ... we weren't experimented on and, like Mr. Hickory pointed out, the Conservatives' brave leader was one of the first people to get vaccinated.

So, even with all the "Tuskegee experiment" concerns, more black people in Alabama have gotten vaccinated than white people.

What excuse do white people have ... we weren't experimented on and, like Mr. Hickory pointed out, the Conservatives' brave leader was one of the first people to get vaccinated.

There are a lot of people in rural populations that don’t receive any kind of preventive care and don’t see doctors. It’s not all that surprising.

We are over 70% of adults vaccinated in Oregon for a couple of weeks now. This has given me comfort but our numbers are starting to go up a bit.

If only covid stopped at the Alabama border you might have a point.

Though not much of one, since you own stats show minorities.arent getting vaccinated.

This is not accurate. We are certainly fortunate that the vaccines are proving highly effective at preventing serious illness in the delta variant. There is no guarantee that the current vaccines will protect us from future variants though. I have heard numerous doctors mention this as a major risk and it's one of the reasons that the "unvaccinated are only hurting themselves" argument is bogus.

“We are approaching that point,” he said. “If we don’t get control of the spread of this Delta variant, one of my biggest fears is that with the spread we’re going to have a new variant that is either more infectious or escapes the control of our vaccines and then we will be back at square one as we were in the original pandemic.”

You do realize the world around 7 billion people? US action alone is a drop in the bucket to contain mutations.

I absolutely hate to hear of anyone getting hospitalized from this, especially people in their 20s and 30s when a vaccine is available
Agreed. Of all the deaths pre-vaccine were tragic, but its incredibly frustrating that we are still losing hundreds of Americans a day now when 99% of those deaths could have been prevented.

Reactions: gatorz1209
Takes a real dunce to see all this data and still be anti vax
Other than the tons of evidence flooding out that the vaccine may be causing both the spread and the variant.

The problem now is vaccine numbers are increasing but because you don’t really get some kind of full protection until at least two weeks after your second shot (pfzer and moderna) all the folks that are rushing to get vaxxed will holler about the shot giving them COVID

This thing is going to mutate until everyone is dead. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Falc%C3%A3oLucas-gif.gif

Interesting that my wife was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a trip to OBA (the Buccee’s/Florabama variant). She had the Pfizer vaccine in January. I did not catch it and had Moderna. We were on a trip with 7 other couples and had 9 of 16 test positive within 3 days of leaving. Of the 9, 7 unvaccinated but 3 with previous documented covid infections and 2 had been vaccinated with Pfizer. The 7 of us that did not catch it included 4 Moderna vaccinated and 2 with previous covid infections. There were at least 6 others infected (not from our group but from our area) from the night we were at the Florabama from the upstairs bar that we were in. We were all there watching a kid play that is from here.
I got home from Gulf Shores last Thursday and so far so good for me (knock on wood). I too spent plenty of time at the Flora-Bama and stopped at Buc-cees on my way home... Glad I'm a #ModernaMan

Is there any evidence to suggest the Delta Variant is more likely to cause sever illness/death than earlier cases of COVID-19?

I'm vaccinated with Pfizer. Sounds like Moderna was the way to go.

My wife got the Moderna shots. She just got over Covid.
Three days of fever-- 100.5 to a 102 high and an illness that she said was very much like a bad sinus infection along with a mild cold.

I got the Pfizer shots. There was no choice for either of us--you got what they had.

I did not social distance. I place a huge pillow to separate us in bed but I did not go elsewhere because I had already kissed her before she came down with fever and so on. She tested positive at our local CVS.

I tested negative. I still feel fine. I donated platelets a week ago but I have yet to hear back from the Covid test on my blood.

My 16 year old had Covid in January. I still took him to get his shots-- Pfizer. He is fine and tested negative.

I think you are fine with the shots you received. I will post again if things change but I am right now, and believe me I am not boasting, healthy as an Atmore Mule.

Oh and I was the one who made my wife get the shots. Maybe I should say I lovingly persuaded her to get the damn shot. Publix pharmacy called for me. I had already had mine up in Habersham County at the Georgia mass vaccination site.

She thanks me now as this mess may have been much worse.

Pappa Bruin

Visla in your profile pic?
Yes and they are awesome dogs.I have always had labs but am now a Vizsla fan.Great personality.Love people and Tend to get along well with other dogs.They do need a lot of exercise.

For one thing, if the hospitals get overwhelmed, they might not be able to take care of other patients, or at least not as well. For another thing, the longer we let this thing circulate, the greater the chances that it continues to mutate. Finally, not everyone can get vaccinated for one reason or another. It’s not as simple as “get vaxed if you want, but leave me alone.”
This, I have an autoimmune disease and can’t take. These things can be really strange and unpredictable. I can be doing great and get “triggered” and then I’m sick, really sick for a week even as long as two months. It was actually the flu vaccine that helped get me diagnosed. You’d think those types of things would help, but in my case, just the opposite. So yes, telling people they’re idiots for not taking is foolish, at least it is in my case.

Thing is, if you go tell an anti-vax friend about this data directly from the front lines, they’ll say it is fake or that @mrhickory is just part of the conspiracy. Starting to see more folks come around, but the hesitancy is really astounding at this point.
It's astounding how people who have taken the vaccine has called everyone that doesn't stupid and that any data shown that does not fit in with their views is dangerous information. I am a contractor that goes to bat with insurance companies on a daily basis. When I form my opinion on what is needed for the job and the adjuster forms a different opinion I can realize that no amount of arguing will change their opinion just like it will not change mine. I love how everyone thinks they can force their opinion on some else, while also not realizing that the person they are trying to talk to can be just as strong in their opposing view as they are with their views. The environment we live in today amazes me how everyone thinks their point of view is the gold standard and everyone who does not follow that standard is obviously stupid. It just shows how stupid the person is that can't understand that someone else could have a different opinion than them.

You’re wrong. Moderna and Pfizer create tons of T cells and B cells. These cells are best what they were right after vaccination 8 months later. Hardly any drop. What dropped some were antibodies but not T cells and B cells. We will have protection from severe disease for years. We will have protection from symptomatic Covid for a while (at least 2 years) unless one is elderly or have other issues like yourself.
So you can predict what the vaccine will do for us years down the road? Did you hop in a time machine? What is the spread on the Auburn vs AL game this year and does Auburn cover.

If there is one thing that almost every expert in the world can agree on it is that they have no clue what long term effects or durability of the vaccine, natural immunity, or covid 19 are. They can only accurately speak on what they have been able to see so far and none of them can see into the future. They can all form an opinion on long term effects, but all will follow it up with only time can tell.

Or, as usual, you are only trying to spin and skew the data because you've been so adamant that almost no one in healthcare is refusing the vaccine. BigBlue specifically said "nurses", so unless he, or his data is incorrect, that definitely doesn't include janitors and orderlies et al.

It's just crazy and rather sad to see behavior like this.

Reactions: midnighttulips
We are over 70% of adults vaccinated in Oregon for a couple of weeks now. This has given me comfort but our numbers are starting to go up a bit.

That's great news, but please keep an eye out, and consider other reasons that the numbers could be going up, even though you guys are at 70%.

The spin will likely be to only place focus on and blame the "unvaccinated", but if we want to get through this thing as quickly as possible, we need to do REAL science, and investigate all plausible causes and options for solutions.

Reactions: Callmeabug
The nutty anti vax conservatives are insane. But minority groups aren't taking the vaccine either. They don't trust the government.

It isn't just a conservative thing.
If they don’t trust the government in place why did they vote them in office? Oh yeah, free money

Post puberty, I feel the vaccines are absolutely safe. I will be waiting a while on my 6 and 3 year old. Until a variant comes along that affects mostly that age with a high rate of morbidity. But this is my personal opinion. My 15 year old has been vaccinated.
My 17 & 15 year old ladies got their first dose last Friday. 17 had COVID in January. No others in the house tested positive or had symptoms. Both did fine with no issues getting Pfizer.

I've been highly skeptical of vaccination in low-risk adolescents myself. There is ample reason to not trust drug companies. Even when the usual 7-10 year pathway from inception to market is followed, the industry has a history of suppressing known adverse events through semantics and statistical voodoo. Ultimately, we don't have a time machine to fast-forward and see what the long term ADRs may, or may not, be, so we are all essentially just part of a grand vaccine experiment at this point.

While I've been personally skeptical of vaccine in this population due to the deviation from the traditional clinical pathway of FDA approval, I'm also not the least bit hesitant to encourage those in that group and their parents/guardians to get the vaccine if they are informed of the potential short-term risk/reward and unknown long-term effects. I'm guessing it is 4-8 years before we have enough data to determine the true efficacy of these vaccines and see what ADRs are eventually present, or not. Hopefully, we remain on this positive trajectory and the vaccines prove safe.

Reactions: midnighttulips
We will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm pro vaccine. Hope every single idiot gets one today. Seriously, stop being an idiot.

But IMO they are just hurting themselves at this point.

(Yes I know .0001 of someone out there will also be hurt, but that's just life in general. We aren't ever going to cure death).
But it’s not an agree to disagree kind of thing. You acted like there was just this minuscule group of people who can’t get vaccinated and I showed you that’s demonstrably false, starting with kids under 12, who can not only get COViD with this delta variant more easily, but pass it on to others.

Reactions: OrigAUgirl
I know 2 fully vaccinated people who are home sick with Covid, both used Moderna

• Data so far suggests efficacy rates of more than 67 percent for the J&J vaccine, 72 to 95 percent for the Moderna vaccine, and 64 to 96 percent for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Reactions: First Coast Tiger
Or, as usual, you are only trying to spin and skew the data because you've been so adamant that almost no one in healthcare is refusing the vaccine. BigBlue specifically said "nurses", so unless he, or his data is incorrect, that definitely doesn't include janitors and orderlies et al.

It's just crazy and rather sad to see behavior like this.
That article I linked said 1/4th of hospital workers who have direct contact with patients refuse the vaccine. That category could include anybody from doctors and nurses to orderlies. I would assume docs and nurses would be more likely to take the vaccine than the others, but I’m sure there are too many of them who won’t.

Other than the tons of evidence flooding out that the vaccine may be causing both the spread and the variant.

Out at your source being A FACEBOOK LINK

I know it's hard to understand this stuff sometimes, especially when the media messes up the explanation of new data. Yes, vaccinated people can spread the virus if they get a breakthrough infection, which is a bit easier to get with the Delta variant than it was with previous variants or the original virus. But the odds of them getting sick in the first place is still exceedingly low compared to unvaccinated people.

The bottom line has not changed - if you hate masks, don't want to see lockdowns and limits, don't want to see our ICUs back at max capacity or overrun, and want this thing to be managed and eventually become a non-factor, get vaccinated.

Being stubborn about it at this point is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

ADVERTISEMENT