ADVERTISEMENT

Update #? (More numbers from the coast-echoing @stevesawbone)

mrhickory

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2008
While I have not posted an update in a long while, I have been asked many times in the last few weeks with the delta surge. So here goes, my first few updates were related to treatment options and the science but this will mostly only focus on numbers. Unfortunately, at this point, healthcare professionals are just trying to keep our heads above water.

As of yesterday, we surpassed our highs (from January) for COVID census and continue to progress upward. Our numbers have skewed significantly younger and more healthy than previous. By the numbers:

My hospital

Covid census:
January 21 (previous high)-52 patients/18 in icu
Aug 2-56 patients/17 in icu

Average age:
1/21/21-66 yo (all census), 67 yo for icu
8/2/21-45 yo (all census), 43 yo in icu
We currently have 6 patients from their early 20’s to mid 30’s in ICU

% vaccinated:
Currently 94% of census unvaccinated, 100% of ICU patients unvaccinated

Ochsner System on Gulf Coast

Also at record census-84 patients hospitalized with 23 in ICU

Average age: 47 yo (all census), 44 yo for ICU

98% unvaccinated (total census), 100% unvaccinated ICU

Baton Rouge Hospitals (Our Lady of the Lake, Ochsner System)

375 patients hospitalized with average age of 44 yo and 90% unvaccinated.

We have had multiple pediatric admissions with delta as well.

We are currently at around 85% admissions from delta variant.

Regional hospitals are currently at capacity (both floor and ICU beds). We have gotten calls to attempt to transfer from as far away as Beaumont,TX, Memphis and Savannah over the last week. This is a big deal as that hospitals start closest to them and work outward. We were the 26th hospital for one of the attempts.

Other Interesting Notes:

Nearly all of our vaccinated admissions for COVID over the last 3 weeks had been vaccinated with Pfizer. We have had 2 J&J and 0 Moderna.

Interesting that my wife was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a trip to OBA (the Buccee’s/Florabama variant). She had the Pfizer vaccine in January. I did not catch it and had Moderna. We were on a trip with 7 other couples and had 9 of 16 test positive within 3 days of leaving. Of the 9, 7 unvaccinated but 3 with previous documented covid infections and 2 had been vaccinated with Pfizer. The 7 of us that did not catch it included 4 Moderna vaccinated and 2 with previous covid infections. There were at least 6 others infected (not from our group but from our area) from the night we were at the Florabama from the upstairs bar that we were in. We were all there watching a kid play that is from here.

Delta is highly infectious and currently a symptomatic infected patient is expected to infect 8-10 unvaccinated others. Please note that delta was discovered before mass vaccination so this is not a variant “caused by vaccinations”. I have seen a few memes on the book of faces that made this assertion.

I agree with @stevesawbone about this being a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Although, Pfizer does not seem to be as effective at preventing delta, so far the data seems to show that it is pretty good at preventing severe illness. This is mostly my anecdotal observation.

Please stay safe folks.

Last edited:
While I have not posted an update in a long while, I have been asked many times in the last few weeks with the delta surge. So here goes, my first few updates were related to treatment options and the science but this will mostly only focus on numbers. Unfortunately, at this point, healthcare professionals are just trying to keep our heads above water.

As of yesterday, we surpassed our highs (from January) for COVID census and continue to progress upward. Our numbers have skewed significantly younger and more healthy than previous. By the numbers:

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Regional hospitals are currently at capacity (both floor and ICU beds). We have gotten calls to attempt to transfer from as far away as Beaumont,TX, Memphis and Savannah over the last week. This is a big deal as that hospitals start closest to them and work outward. We were the 26th hospital for one of the attempts.

Other Interesting Notes:

Nearly all of our vaccinated admissions for COVID over the last 3 weeks had been vaccinated with Pfizer. We have had 2 J&J and 0 Moderna.

Interesting that my wife was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a trip to OBA (the Buccee’s/Florabama variant). She had the Pfizer vaccine in January. I did not catch it and had Moderna. We were on a trip with 7 other couples and had 9 of 16 test positive within 3 days of leaving. Of the 9, 7 unvaccinated but 3 with previous documented covid infections and 2 had been vaccinated with Pfizer. The 7 of us that did not catch it included 4 Moderna vaccinated and 2 with previous covid infections. There were at least 6 others infected (not from our group but from our area) from the night we were at the Florabama from the upstairs bar that we were in. We were all there watching a kid play that is from here. Delta is highly infectious and currently a symptomatic infected patient is expected to infect 8-10 unvaccinated others.

I agree with @stevesawbone about this being a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Although, Pfizer does not seem to be as effective at preventing delta, so far the data seems to show that it is pretty good at preventing severe illness.

Please stay safe folks.
The info on Pfizer is very interesting. I had assumed that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were practically identical. Apparently, this is not the case and that Moderna (and maybe J&J?) possibly offer more protection against delta than Pfizer? Are the numbers/differences you are seeing statistically significant?

Last edited:
The infor on Pfizer is very interesting. I had assumed that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were practically identical. Apparently, this is not the case and that Moderna (and maybe J&J?) possibly offer more protection against delta than Pfizer? Are the numbers/differences you are seeing statistically significant?

It’s just my anecdotal observation. I did see one study that suggested it may only be 64% effective at preventing delta but I looked at it briefly and have been unable to find it since.

The infor on Pfizer is very interesting. I had assumed that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were practically identical. Apparently, this is not the case and that Moderna (and maybe J&J?) possibly offer more protection against delta than Pfizer? Are the numbers/differences you are seeing statistically significant?

i chose Moderna based on what i read on the internet about it possibly being better for Delta variant, but it's the internet so glad to see real info like the OP's

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Interesting that my wife was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a trip to OBA (the Buccee’s/Florabama variant). She had the Pfizer vaccine in January. I did not catch it and had Moderna. We were on a trip with 7 other couples and had 9 of 16 test positive within 3 days of leaving. Of the 9, 7 unvaccinated but 3 with previous documented covid infections and 2 had been vaccinated with Pfizer. The 7 of us that did not catch it included 4 Moderna vaccinated and 2 with previous covid infections. There were at least 6 others infected (not from our group but from our area) from the night we were at the Florabama from the upstairs bar that we were in. We were all there watching a kid play that is from here. Delta is highly infectious and currently a symptomatic infected patient is expected to infect 8-10 unvaccinated others.

I agree with @stevesawbone about this being a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Although, Pfizer does not seem to be as effective at preventing delta, so far the data seems to show that it is pretty good at preventing severe illness. This is mostly my anecdotal observation.

Please stay safe folks.
So all should get the vaccine. That’s how I read this. I can’t understand NOT taking the vaccine!

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
Very, very similar numbers at my wife’s hospital in Birmingham. They are really discouraged by the numbers of young healthy people having to be admitted. Some are not doing so well.

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
Thank you for this information. This is getting bad again. In three weeks there will be a run on stores again, I bet.

Reactions: Stumpfan
Is there any evidence to suggest the Delta Variant is more likely to cause sever illness/death than earlier cases of COVID-19?

I'm vaccinated with Pfizer. Sounds like Moderna was the way to go.

A pandemic of the unvaccinated.

And since the vaccine is widely available right this very second, why are we freaking out? (not OP)

You either get it or not at this point.

For one thing, if the hospitals get overwhelmed, they might not be able to take care of other patients, or at least not as well. For another thing, the longer we let this thing circulate, the greater the chances that it continues to mutate. Finally, not everyone can get vaccinated for one reason or another. It’s not as simple as “get vaxed if you want, but leave me alone.”

Agreed.

I'm extremely PRO Vax...but I'm also Pro letting people be idiots as well and risk their lives as well.

The rest of the US should move on let the idiots roll the dice and stop worrying about them.
Agree with your first part but not the second part. They are affecting us and allowing variants to develope. It is like people taking antibodics when they shouldn't or not finishing them when they are prescribed.

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
THANKZ DOC HICKERY,
Amazing the age range is in mid 40's.

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
Any thoughts on a pfizer booster?

For one thing, if the hospitals get overwhelmed, they might not be able to take care of other patients, or at least not as well. For another thing, the longer we let this thing circulate, the greater the chances that it continues to mutate. Finally, not everyone can get vaccinated for one reason or another. It’s not as simple as “get vaxed if you want, but leave me alone.”

The ridiculous, not everyone can get vaccinated argument. Who are these 7 people worldwide.

I'm extremely pro Vax. Got it the second I could. Have just about had to force some in my family to take it.

But as OP said, this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated, meaning if you are vaccinated these variants aren't doing much.

Finally, for overwhelming hospitals, start telling some of these people we are full and I'm sorry. That actually might make a few reconsider.

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
Thanks for including info on previously infected. I don't think people realize just how good that seems to be holding up these days. I wish they would do a trial of just those folks and she if the even need any shots. At the very least it seems one is more than enough to boost a person off the charts.

The info on Pfizer is very interesting. I had assumed that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were practically identical. Apparently, this is not the case and that Moderna (and maybe J&J?) possibly offer more protection against delta than Pfizer? Are the numbers/differences you are seeing statistically significant?
I’m the one who screwed Pfizer. Had my first shot Friday and of course it was Pfizer.

Agree with your first part but not the second part. They are affecting us and allowing variants to develope. It is like people taking antibodics when they shouldn't or not finishing them when they are prescribed.

Well you are in the top 10 of people I least care about agreeing with me on this board, but at least we found some common ground.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaiiu

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.

I just got back from an international trip and the flights back were all over sold/completely full.

We had to have 4 PCR test along the way and all were negative (family of 4 with moderna).

My biggest fear was a positive test, simply because at 4 test/times four people the $125+ euro (per test) was pissing me off a bit.

Good luck good doc and thanks for the update.

I think I'm team Moderna. But I honestly can't remember 100%.

My wife and I had different vaccines, one Pfizer and one Moderna. I get us mixed up a lot. Need to dig that paperwork out before any boosters are needed, I guess.
I just double checked to be sure.

Reactions: DavistonTiger
I think I'm team Moderna. But I honestly can't remember 100%.

My wife and I had different vaccines, one Pfizer and one Moderna. I get us mixed up a lot. Need to dig that paperwork out before any boosters are needed, I guess.
My work was offering Pfizer, but My doctor's office called with Moderna, and I had read it was "Stronger" not sure how accurate that is, but it does seem it may be.

tenor.gif

Same can be said for long haul covid. I personally know people still suffering after more of a year recovering from covid. Some damage is permanent. Look up long haul covid.
I agree. But that's the refrain I keep hearing from holdouts and their enablers.

My hospital

Covid census:

Average age:

% vaccinated:

Other Interesting Notes:

Please stay safe folks.
Good scientific data. Wish CDC, Fauci and others were better at communicating health data. Also Moderna seems like the best vaccine.

ADVERTISEMENT