ADVERTISEMENT

Tough look at Southeastern

What you think and what is real life is totally different. Do you honestly believe if every student in the sec gets the virus they'll continue with football season? Let's at least try to be somewhat realistic here
No I don't think they will continue the football season but they should because the SEC would then be the cleanest conference in the country. Lets face it, the kids who have not already gotten it will likely get it and AU will catch a fair number of them because they are testing the students and making them sign into an App every day stating any symptoms. The media will likely make a big deal out of it and football will likely be cancelled. We have no way to stop that though. All we can do it hope that all those damn kids kid COVID right now so there are no issues by 9/26.

Reactions: aler
The players are upset because they’ve been told over and over what they have to do to get to play and they are doing it but the students are going to torpedo it all with a couple of weeks of bar hopping. It’s understandable
Not sure why any regular student or students having it stops football. Football players stay away from anyone outside of football players and we should be fine. What matters is football players testing positive, not Johnny Freshman

Not sure why any regular student or students having it stops football. Football players stay away from anyone outside of football players and we should be fine. What matters is football players testing positive, not Johnny Freshman
That poses an interesting question--if on campus classes causes an immediate spike in cases such that schools go to all remote (like UNC just did) will football teams remain on campus and continue with the season? I don't know. I suspect not, but maybe so if the financial harm from not playing is as severe as it seems.

Yes but life poses risk.
Sure it does, and people who make decisions about public safety have to assess and balance those risks, but I don't think a general proposition like that has, will, or can be the guide for a pandemic response.

That poses an interesting question--if on campus classes causes an immediate spike in cases such that schools go to all remote (like UNC just did) will football teams remain on campus and continue with the season? I don't know. I suspect not, but maybe so if the financial harm from not playing is as severe as it seems.
Aren't the football players taking online classes only? @Jay G. Tate ?

Reactions: Docdumpsta
No I don't think they will continue the football season but they should because the SEC would then be the cleanest conference in the country. Lets face it, the kids who have not already gotten it will likely get it and AU will catch a fair number of them because they are testing the students and making them sign into an App every day stating any symptoms. The media will likely make a big deal out of it and football will likely be cancelled. We have no way to stop that though. All we can do it hope that all those damn kids kid COVID right now so there are no issues by 9/26.

Or... and this is a tough one... we hope a very small number of them get it so that football can continue

Reactions: vanceme

This. Some people here are so dense about the risk this poses to the leadership of these universities. It doesn't matter what your political view of the virus is.

If a university in the SEC has a major outbreak (see: Georgia, Alabama, etc.) and the leadership of that university closes campus, it will place enormous pressure on Sankey (and the medical professionals that the SEC is listening to). One school could tank the entire season.

My son lives on campus at Auburn and he attend all classes online most days. He has a few classes where he goes one day a week.

Reactions: hooter80
Also, the SEC is still in wait-and-see mode. See: https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/14/ncaa-football-covid-medical-experts-big-ten-pac-12

An SEC team doctor, speaking on a condition of anonymity, contends that the Big Ten and Pac-12 made their decisions far too early.

“By kicking the can down the road, we’re trying to wait on two things: (1) students to come back on campus and (2) the NFL to get started,”

This is why people like Grey Byrne take photos of the bars at Alabama and rage out on Twitter. He knows what's at stake and what the medical professionals that are in Sankey's ear are looking for.

Last edited:
This. Some people here are so dense about the risk this poses to the leadership of these universities. It doesn't matter what your political view of the virus is.

If a university in the SEC has a major outbreak (see: Georgia, Alabama, etc.) and the leadership of that university closes campus, it will place enormous pressure on Sankey (and the medical professionals that the SEC is listening to). One school could tank the entire season.
Let’s talk about the one school that has had the major outbreak, UNC. They had 120 students test positive last week. They have 40,000 students. Was going full virtual justified?? Maybe, to contain it from getting worse. They also said they plan on continuing with their plans to play football. A “major outbreak” in my opinion would be thousands of students testing positive, including a lot of football players. Then you discuss shutting down. Online classes are fine but students aren’t leaving, and football shouldn’t get cancelled because a couple hundred non football students test positive

Sure it does, and people who make decisions about public safety have to assess and balance those risks, but I don't think a general proposition like that has, will, or can be the guide for a pandemic response.

It most certainly has to weigh in on the decisions, truth be told there isn’t majority consensus in the medical field in this orang other pandemic.

The facts change, early on almost daily then as it progresses they change as more is learned. But unless it is eradicated there will never be 100% consensus among the medical field.

To say that when decisions are made that the inherent risk aren’t weighed is denying the facts. If it were solely the number of deaths none of us would be driving.

Let’s talk about the one school that has had the major outbreak, UNC. They had 120 students test positive last week. They have 40,000 students. Was going full virtual justified?? Maybe, to contain it from getting worse. They also said they plan on continuing with their plans to play football. A “major outbreak” in my opinion would be thousands of students testing positive, including a lot of football players. Then you discuss shutting down. Online classes are fine but students aren’t leaving, and football shouldn’t get cancelled because a couple hundred non football students test positive

I generally agree (about the level of outbreak required) ... but even if you buy the theory that the most recent surge was just "protestors" (which I don't agree with, but whatever), the 120 students positive last week becomes 400 this week, 1000 next week, and so on.

Always starts with a few ... just like June, which became July.

Reactions: KilgoreTrout
I'm gezzzing that all SEC COACHES are trying to keep the players IN A BUBBBLE!!!
Thay knew that wuntz students showed up--THANGZ WOOD GIT KRAYZEEEE!!!
I'd be serprized if PLAYAZ iz allowed to go to BARS.

The kids are the only thing standing between us and football season. Literally the only thing that will get football season cancelled at this point is a spread within the student body. Maybe doing a little bit of social distancing to make sure football season happens is an ok idea
Kids aren't the only thing standing between football. Pussy administrators are.

I generally agree (about the level of outbreak required) ... but even if you buy the theory that the most recent surge was just "protestors" (which I don't agree with, but whatever), the 120 students positive last week becomes 400 this week, 1000 next week, and so on.

I don’t disagree with UNC’s choice. But those students aren’t going home. They aren’t catching it in the classroom. Bars will be crowded and kids will still hang out. That won’t change. And if schools can keep their athletes separated and healthy then why should they cancel sports

Reactions: vanceme

like those initial 4 cases in the US that were going to be contained and make it all go away.

The sooner people realize that COVID-19 is a real disease that kills people at a relatively low rate and is also a disease that is being used for political purposes at a relatively high rate, the sooner we can all stop living in fear.

Corona death bros, @ me all you want to. I'm over the whole damned thing.

@orientalthunder, the mouth and genitals comment made me LOL for real.

The sooner people realize that COVID-19 is a real disease that kills people at a relatively low rate and is also a disease that is being used for political purposes at a relatively high rate, the sooner we can all stop living in fear.

Corona death bros, @ me all you want to. I'm over the whole damned thing.

@orientalthunder, the mouth and genitals comment made me LOL for real.
LOL, I'm truly convinced that both sides are finally going to come together after the #101,467 argument on this topic...(in case you can't tell this is sarcasm Level 12)

Of course it poses a risk to them. Come on.
Why sure, all viruses and illnesses do. But given what we know about COVID, is the risk worth isolating in your dorm/apartment and not hanging out with people? Apparently not. Unless the average age of Auburn students suddenly shot to 75.

And for the "but but but they're gonna kill football".... please. If the cancellation threshold is irrationally and ridiculously low (e.g., UNC shutting down over a cluster of a few dozen cases out of a 30k student population), then the "decision" is rigged from the get-go, and it really won't matter if students are at bars or not. If the decision-makers are primed to cancel everything, might as well go out and have some fun regardless.

Kids aren't the only thing standing between football. Pussy administrators are.

Sigh. The admins are moving forward. The only thing that would prevent football right now is the kids all getting the virus. If every student gets it, the admins shouldn't be considered pussies for canceling the season. Its up to the kids, plain and simple

Why sure, all viruses and illnesses do. But given what we know about COVID, is the risk worth isolating in your dorm/apartment and not hanging out with people? Apparently not. Unless the average age of Auburn students suddenly shot to 75.

And for the "but but but they're gonna kill football".... please. If the cancellation threshold is irrationally and ridiculously low (e.g., UNC shutting down over a cluster of a few dozen cases out of a 30k student population), then the "decision" is rigged from the get-go, and it really won't matter if students are at bars or not. If the decision-makers are primed to cancel everything, might as well go out and have some fun regardless.
I'm not really following your train of thought. SEC is waiting to see what happens when school starts. If there is a spike in cases (120 in that short a time frame is a lot and the multiplier you can expect from that is significant) the schools are going to re-asses the risk of going forward. It's pretty simple.

All I'm saying is at this point the only way football gets cancelled is a large spread among the students.
Yep, and a 21yo KA or Sigma Nu is thinking..golly gee whiz. I would like to take some chick to pound town but it may result in no Gus Bus football?? Hmm, it is still and always will be undefeated.

Every virus curve ever looks the same way. Cali is getting pounded now they have had a mandate forever. It’s just there turn

Ok, explain South Korea. Also, SK has 5-6x the population density as the United States.

I hate to break it to you but these student’s don’t care near as much about football as you do. They want to live their lives and are tired of being locked down, quarantined and unable to socialize.

I hate to break it to you but these student’s don’t care near as much about football as you do. They want to live their lives and are tired of being locked down, quarantined and unable to socialize.
And none fear COVID. In fact I would be willing to bet that if you told them today they could be given COVID and quarantine for two weeks and then afterwards everyone would leave them alone you would run out of COVID before the line emptied.

Very true. I was a student 4 years ago. Most students care more about the parties/tailgates/fun football creates than the actual games.

We have to stop judging and playing victim if we get it or know someone who gets it. It’s a PANDEMIC!

It’s inevitable without a fool proof vaccine

Very true. I was a student 4 years ago. Most students care more about the parties/tailgates/fun football creates than the actual games.
We were there at the same time, and you're in BHAM too? Were you in a fraternity?

The kids are the only thing standing between us and football season. Literally the only thing that will get football season cancelled at this point is a spread within the student body. Maybe doing a little bit of social distancing to make sure football season happens is an ok idea

I think our only chance is for the players to completely social distance from the student body.

Classes, bars, or restaurants players need to stay away from others

I know this sounds impossible but if they don’t do it they will get the virus and infect others on the team.

I would appeal to their football love and ask them for just 4 months of total dedication to their team and teammates.

Otherwise it will not work.

I think our only chance is for the players to completely social distance from the student body.

Classes, bars, or restaurants players need to stay away from others

I know this sounds impossible but if they don’t do it they will get the virus and infect others on the team.

I would appeal to their football love and ask them for just 4 months of total dedication to their team and teammates.

Otherwise it will not work.
I thank thatz wut the SEC iz doing. Sumbody sed that thay shut the WELLNEZZ CENTA down for NON FOOOTBALL PLAYAZ. That tellz me dat theeez kids iz in a bubble.
I thank thay are brangann in TITTTZ and AZZZZ but making shure all the AZZZ AND TITTZ are tezzting NEGATIVE beefore thay hit the PLAYAZ BEDROOOMZ.

Those kids don't owe you a football season. They don't owe you anything.

Reactions: W.D.E.
Those kids don't owe you a football season. They don't owe you anything.

Of course. But I'm just assuming most of them would prefer to both be healthy and have football, as opposed to what is being proposed which is to both infect everyone and cancel football. I'd rather have football but it isn't up to me, it's up to the kids

Reactions: StatsMatter
strange response to a totally logical take
"Maybe a little distancing to help football happen is an OK idea"
"HEY STUDENTS DON'T OWE YOU SHIT PAL, THEY OWE YOU NOTHING!"
Asking young college kids to voluntarily give up the most fun parts of a college experience, with the only payoff being getting to see Gus herp and derp his way to another three or four loss regular season, is crazy.

Asking young college kids to voluntarily give up the most fun parts of a college experience, with the only payoff being getting to see Gus herp and derp his way to another three or four loss regular season, is crazy.

What if I told you that basketball season won't happen if the entire campus gets the virus. Does that change your attitude at all?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT