ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: LSU Week (9-29-21)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

Should be a dandy.

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

PREDICTION:
Lots of nice things to be said about LSU, no comment on Santa mooning me.

NICK EASON is up first for the football portion of the show. You may know him as the team's defensive line coach and all-around stud.

6:27 p.m. — Andy asks what Coach Nick has learned about his team. "They love football. They love the game. They care about one another. They pay attention to the details. They want to be great and they want to win. That's important to them and it's important to me."

6:28 — Not Andy asks about Coach Nick and some of his players being new to Auburn. "I don't even think about that. Once you step foot on this campus, you're an Auburn Tiger. You're an Auburn man. It's just a blessing for all of us. We're blue collar; we believe in hard work." DOES HE BELIEVE IN WORK HARD WORK, THOUGH?

6:30 — Andy asks about how they deal with noisy environments. WHAT IF YOU HAD TO PLAY NEXT TO THE SPACE SHUTTLE WHEN IT'S TAKING OFF? WOULD THAT AFFECT YOU, COACH? BETTER DRESS LIGHT, FR. "Everything starts up front. We expect to perform at a high level. We don't talk much about hostile environments. It's a road game. It's an important game to win for us to achieve our goals. We're just preparing to go down there and play our best football."

6:31 — Not Andy asks about them shifting between 3-4 and 4-3 bases. "Defensive line play is defensive line play. You're either lined up ahead of a guy or to the right or to the left of a guy. Regardless (of front), it's going to come down to winning your 1 on 1s and leverage. It's all about finishing. I try to simplify things for my guys. I want them to play fast."

6:32 — Andy asks about Marquis Burks. "He had a really good spring. He spends a lot of extra time watching tape with me. He has really shown up in a major way. He's done a really good job this year. I'm going to continue to push him and challenge him to get better and better."

6:33 — Not Andy asks about Coach Nick's relationship with Kendall Simmons. "Kendall is probably one of the best offensive guards I played against. He definitely jumped counts and cheated (GUFFAWS ALL AROUND) ... Every day was a war against Kendall. I love Kendall. He made me a better football player. He was one of the best of his time. I love what I do. I love being here at Auburn."

COMMERICAL BREAK
Coach Bryan Harsin, "weak*" coach with "no backbone*," coming up next.

(Baumhauer's sponsors this radio program and their food is delicious and their servers are awesome. I know this from experience.)

6:39 — Andy mentions that they were practicing in JHS with the noise. "I thought they responded today. You could feel the energy. Guys were putting the work in."

6:39 — Not Andy asks about what was learned from the GSU film. "A lot of it goes back to things we can control. That's always the case, every single game. We believe we can make those plays. Georgia State did a really good job, they were in the right spots. We had to work for it."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:45 — Not Andy wants to talk about Auburn's quarterbacks. "They've done a good job every single week. They practice hard, those two guys. Both guys have responded to their opportunities in practice. It needs to continue tomorrow; tomorrow is a big day. That's when we polish everything up. You have to maximize the reps you have. Just focus on the reps you get, make them count. You're one guy our of a 11 just doing his job. They've both been ... really focused."

6:46 — Andy asks about Eric Kiesau. "I worked with Eric, certainly, so there's some familiarity there. He's done a great job with the wide receiver room ... at Boise State. Working with the guys, developing relationships. I think he understand the details we need to have to execute the style of offense we're running. He's right in the mix with the wide receivers. Come Saturday, make sure we have the right people in there doing the right things. He's a good energy guy."

ONCE AGAIN HE MENTIONS GETTING THE RIGHT GUYS IN THE RIGHT SPOTS. HMMMMMMMM.

6:48 — Josh emails in to ask about what analysts do. (Josh also wishes his wife Happy Anniversary. "That's the best part of that (question), huh?) Harsin says analysts can't coach on the field. "It's an opportunity ... for them to take a chance to step back to think about the process ... things we can do better, I can do better. (They also look at opponents.) They're charting things we need to go over with our players at halftime so we can have a better second half."

6:50 — Andy asks about how much practice video Harsin watches. (Auburn practices on one field, so he sees what he wants.) "Those guys on scout team are going to be players for us, they'll be out there starting for us someday. They need to give us the best look they can."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:53 — Andy asks about the LSU defense. Harsin says LSU's statistical greatness is partly due to them being good and partly due to the offenses they have faced. "We've got to go out there and get the right matchups. We've got to win the 1 on 1s. Overall, they're very sound and they're consistent in games."

6:54 — Julie/Juli emails in to ask if the gameplan changes with the QB. "The game plan stays the same, but the calls change. You call plays for the players who are in there. The quarterbacks are no different. What are their favorite plays? Hopefully those will be some of the plays we run when they're in there. Each guy has a little bit different feel for some things."

6:56 — Andy asks about the LSU quarterback. "I like him. I think he's good. He's playing that position well. We've got to put some pressure on him and make him make decisions. We've got to make all those throws contested. We've got to be in the right position, we've got to be around the ball and create pressure."

6:57 — Not Andy asks about LSU's outstanding wideout named Boo-tay. "He just goes hard. He plays like one of your best players should play. He wants the ball and he's aggressive. It seems like he knows what he's trying to attack on the defense."

6:58 — "Alright, War Eagle," Harsin said matter-of-factly. He's focused. He's ready to fight.

BE GOOD. BE YOU.

--30--

*According to former coach Tony Franklin, who doesn't know Bryan Harsin personally.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.