Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

They're at BOB'S VIC'TRY GRILL tonight.

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

They're opening with COACH SONNY SMITH tonight. Gus will be the final guest tonight.

6:35 — Gus has arrived. "I was in a hurry. I was panicking a bit."

6:35 — Not Andy wants to talk about this week. No class. "You have a little extra time to prep. We used yesterday as a work day. We'll get into our normal routine tomorrow."

6:36 — Not Andy says the Samford game went well. "The weather was pretty tough in the first half, too. I'm proud of our team — the way they handled the weather. Our fans hung in there. Our band didn't go home. That really meant a lot to our players."

6:37 — Not Andy asks who attended the game from start to finish. A smattering of applause ensues. Gus seems appreciative.

6:38 — On Cord Sandberg: "He really did a good job. It was really good to see."

6:38 — KIMMMMM is up. First question. She asks about Tua's brother. "They've got so many talented guys to throw the ball to." Says they're focused on Mac Jones.

6:39 — "You do your best to predict how they're going to attack."

6:39 — Not Andy says Auburn's DL is good. Marlon won Defensive Line POW. "He's been consistently dominant — even the games when he didn't get the SEC Player of the Week. He's a real smart, coach-on-the-field guy, makes plays."

6:40 — HERBBBBBBB is on the mic. He asks how they keep players calm ahead of this game. "You rely on your older guys for widsom. They won't need motivational speeches; they'll be ready to go."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:45 — Not Andy asked about the script for Samford. Gus says they were conservative, didn't pass much until the rain abated. "That definitely affected our plan."

6:45 — Not Andy says Bo Nix threw well against Georgia. "We don't need to be throwing it 50 times."

6:46 — BUSTERRRRR is in the house. He's babbling about Mac Jones. He also wants to talk about IMG Academy and what role it plays in Jacksonville-area recruits like Mac Jones. "That's a tough question to answer." Gus didn't want to touch that with a 10-foot pole.

6:47 — Not Andy says Alabama runs the ball more now that Tua Tagovailoa is out. "When they decide to run, they can do it."

6:47 — Not Andy asks about Auburn's run game against Alabama's front seven. "Their defense is about like what it's been." Gus mentions that Auburn spreads the workload among a group of players. "That makes us that much tougher to defend."

6:48 — Not Andy asks about Joiner's TD against Samford. "We'd been working on that play all year. We really executed it."

6:49 — Not Andy wants to talk about Christian Tutt's big game. "He's really coming on. He's really confident. He played a lot last year as a true freshman — and that really helped him."

6:50 — Not Andy says Tutt doesn't say much in interviews. "I like that."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:53 — Some dude is there. He doesn't have a question, just says nice things to Gus. "We think the world of you and your family." Gus seems genuinely moved, says he loves being at Auburn.

6:54 — Not Andy suggests that Gus probably has forgotten his first Iron Bowl in 2009. "I remember a lot. Iron Bowls, you remember them all. At least I do."

6:54 — Not Andy wants to know what they'll emphasize in practice this week. "I want to make sure our players can play fast and just react; not think."

6:55 — Not Andy asks about defending the Ala passing attack. "The big play. And within that, you have to tackle well. We'll have to do a good job with tackling. We've done that all year."

6:56 — Not Andy reads off some great numbers the defense has posted this season. NOTHING ABOUT THE OFFENSE???? "It's not like a normal schedule like a lot of these other teams. It's a real schedule."

6:57 — "We've played some of the top teams in all of college football. We are a battle-tested team. For the most part, we're pretty healthy."

6:57 — Not Andy mentions that the 1989 team will be feted Saturday. It's been THIRTY YEARS, Y'ALL!!!!! "This is the best rivalry there is. This is a great opportunity for us."

Gus signs off with a steely WAR EAGLE ... adds a "thank you" for good measure.

BE GOOD. BE YOU.

--30--

Last edited:
Reactions: skidmark1998
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.