ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on UW Game and Next week

MercerTiger11

All-American
Feb 16, 2006
Columbus, GA
You’ve probably dozens of these posts already, but I’m watching the game again this morning and wanted to put some thoughts out for discussion.

We need to improve in a lot of areas, but as a rule I try not to belittle or apologize for any victory.

We won’t play another team like UW again - Browning will be a 1st round QB, Gaskin has rushed for 4K yards and their defense was much better than I expected - that and they neutralized our running game (more on that later) and altered their coverages to take away the deep ball in the 2nd half because they were able to limit our rushing.

Stidham did Stidham things, generally made good throws/decisions and even audibled a few calls - which is improvement from Gus. Still to many misreads on RPOs and he has a tendency to miss a “mid-level” receiver that’s open trying to find the home run. 1st game, believe he’s going to settle in going forward. Willis needs more than 1 play and look for him to play bama state.

Receivers did well, and we actually threw some slants and got the RB/HB involved. That’s progress, couldn’t get the deep ball going due to coverage sets. Freshmen are going to make plays this year.

OL/RB need to see more here - better play and more options. Thank God we’re playing bama state this week. I’d like to see the same starters working early and finding success against a lesser opponent to get their confidence up and more snaps for everyone. But would really like to see what Brahms, Ashley, Troxell and Asa can do, plus more Shivers.

Defensive front seven played great in all aspects of the game and probably the reason we won. Everyone talks run fits and pass rush (sans TD, who needs to step it up) but our LB’s played a hell of a game and really did excellent in coverage.

DB’s were given a hard tasks, and while we need improvement, any other QB/ Head Coach combo wouldn’t have had as much success. New starters, will get better every game.

Glad we’re playing bama state this week, believe we’ll get to work out some kinks and rotate in some young guys. Need as much improvement from the offensive play calls as improved play on the field.

Reactions: God Cam It
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.