ADVERTISEMENT

This post has 400,000 Likes on Twitter

A

anon_xdkqbpnrbtnct

Think a lot of us change when we get to college, usually for the better. Not having grace for others who make mistakes is bad.

200.gif

Reactions: NotAiO
i know i've personally come a long way in regards to understanding the racial complexities we have in this country since i was a teenager...the movement may be missing out on people that will eventually become allies by completely closing the door on those that are young and have no control over how they were raised or what environment they grew up in

i know i've personally come a long way in regards to understanding the racial complexities we have in this country since i was a teenager...the movement may be missing out on people that will eventually become allies by completely closing the door on people that are young and have no control over how they were raised or what environment they grew up in

That post was in response to people who are actively trying...and succeeding....in getting kids kicked out of college or taking away their education opportunities prior to college.

According to this person, we're all who we are going to be prior to 18. That is insanity.

That post was in response to people who are actively trying...and succeeding....in getting kids kicked out of college or taking away their education opportunities prior to college.

According to this person, we're all who we are going to be prior to 18. That is insanity.

i feel like there should be a lot more understanding coming from the movement about kids only knowing the environment they grew up in for sure

I don’t know that it’s necessarily awful if a light is shown on an overtly racist person’s statements. I HATE the idea of social media getting to do it. They are the WORST fact checkers and will wrongly ruin someone’s life in a rush to be a part of exposing a “racist.” Everybody retweets the accusation. Nobody retweets the retraction.

I don’t know that it’s necessarily awful if a light is shown on an overtly racist person’s statements. I HATE the idea of social media getting to do it. They are the WORST fact checkers and will wrongly ruin someone’s life in a rush to be a part of exposing a “racist.” Everybody retweets the accusation. Nobody retweets the retraction.

It's "necessarily awful" because its a massive slippery slope that has gone from excommunicating people who repeat rap lyrics with the n-word to not sufficiently showing support with the black square on your social media and donating to the causes.

There's always a next level. Used to you could apologize and commit the rest of your life to showing that this bad snippet in time wasn't who you really were, and now its become "What you said when you were 15 either in private or to your 25 followers will prevent you from having a successful life"

It's "necessarily awful" because its a massive slippery slope that has gone from excommunicating people who repeat rap lyrics with the n-word to not sufficiently showing support with the black square on your social media and donating to the causes.

There's always a next level. Used to you could apologize and commit the rest of your life to showing that this bad snippet in time wasn't who you really were, and now its become "What you said when you were 15 either in private or to your 25 followers will prevent you from having a successful life"

Again, that’s why I don’t like the mob mentality of social media, and its rush to judgement. I feel like posting that stuff to social media is more about e-cred than actual justice.

But if someone wants to forward racist Facebook posts directly to a college admissions office and let them make the call, whatever. An admissions officer can probably differentiate between rap lyrics and a junior-kkk member.

Reactions: anon_xdkqbpnrbtnct
Not saying I don’t agree, OP, but what would you have done to students who do blatantly racist things? I feel shaming them, in some form, is necessary.

Think a lot of us change when we get to college, usually for the better. Not having grace for others who make mistakes is bad.

I certainly agree with your post OP, but I do NOT agree with the inflammatory and pablum'ish assertion that BLM is a single collective where one tweet speaks for all people who want to remind the world that Black Lives Matter TOO.

People ought to be smart enough to understand that a single tweet, from a single individual does NOT represent a creed or manifesto, and certainly doesn't speak for all who have ever chanted that "Black Lives Matter too", yet look at all of the people in this thread who have sucked up that garbage and run with it. This is what happens when race pimps and the highest officials in the land promote and run with partisan group-think. Folks turn off their brains, and we lose most/all objectivity, and our once great country is worse off for the wear. C'mon people, we can do better than this.

Though there are some who are angry, ignorant and mis-guided and who in their myopic, emotionally-fueled bent, forget that single comments, and brief periods do NOT define a person. It's different if there is a hardened individual with a long history, but getting anyone kicked out or punished excessively for a isolated mistake is dead wrong.

I certainly agree with your post OP, but I do NOT agree with the inflammatory and pablum'ish assertion that BLM is a single collective where one tweet speaks for all people who want to remind the world that Black Lives Matter TOO.b

I certainly never said that and don't agree with that being of one collective. I am sympathetic to black lives matter moreso than Black Lives Matter™.

I certainly never said that and don't agree with that being of one collective. I am sympathetic to black lives matter moreso than Black Lives Matter™.

Do you feel that the collective thought expressed in that single tweet, should be attributed to any and all associate with "Black Lives Matter too"? If not, why make the post, or why not at least disambiguate and say, "Hey, at least one person tweeting under the Black Lives Matter too handle is a bit short-sighted.

There is a clear difference between a hardened racist and a point in time type of mistake, and it's pretty easy to show this and take down short-sighted arguments that try to lump everyone into one big ball of wax.

Do you feel that the collective thought expressed in that single tweet, should be attributed to any and all associate with "Black Lives Matter too"? If not, why make the post, or why not at least disambiguate and say, "Hey, at least one person tweeting under the Black Lives Matter too handle is a bit short-sighted.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I literally said in the first sentence of the subject why I thought it was significant. It has 400k Likes, 400,000 people/bots/whoever on a social media platform thought what they said was good. The person could have been named Flippy Dippy Dip and I would have still been alarmed.

To be honest I didn't post it with the intention at all of calling out Black Lives Matter. I just thought the message of the post was horrific and alarming.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I literally said in the first sentence of the subject why I thought it was significant. It has 400k Likes, 400,000 people/bots/whoever on a social media platform thought what they said was good. The person could have been named Flippy Dippy Dip and I would have still been alarmed.

To be honest I didn't post it with the intention at all of calling out Black Lives Matter. I just thought the message of the post was horrific and alarming.

I wonder how many saw it overall, so we can know the percentage, but there's no doubt that people flip likes to crap like that without thinking, and that many are misled into thinking that ANY and all infractions should lead to immediate tar'ring and feathering. I frequently remind such misplaced emotion how many lynchings that type of behavior led to in the past, and how we SHOULD turn on our brains, and think before we paint with a broad brush on either side.

Thanks for your explanation.

I wonder how many saw it overall, but there's no doubt that people flip likes to crap like that without thinking, and that many are misled into thinking that ANY and all infractions should lead to immediate tar'ring and feathering.

Its 100% ok to think that there are A LOT of people who are demented psychopaths who enjoy watching people suffer for mistakes.

Its 100% ok to think that there are A LOT of people who are demented psychopaths who enjoy watching people suffer for mistakes.

Moreso than this representing demented psychopaths who want to see others suffer, I think it represents brain-dead group-think where people are essentially flipping a like because they're saying, "Yeah, racism is wrong, let's snuff it out", without fully realizing that young people do and say stupid things, and especially during their college years where one stupid/wrong tweet, or even joining of a racist group, may not mean they are hardened racists who will stay that way forever.

I go to the nth degree to ensure that AA's stop....think...and be CERTAIN that they are not doing the same things to another group, that has been done to them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT