ADVERTISEMENT

This board is nothing if not predictable.**

Been meaning to ask, is the situation in Seattle “bothersome” yet or still nah?

I'm getting several times daily updates from someone living there. When she gets worried, I probably will too.

In the meantime I maintain that this was a masterful stroke of leadership. Hopefully these folks will burn themselves out and eventually some semblance of normalcy will be restored with minimal casualties/loss of life.

Reactions: kenews
I'm getting several times daily updates from someone living there. When she gets worried, I probably will too.

In the meantime I maintain that this was a masterful stroke of leadership. Hopefully these folks will burn themselves out and eventually some semblance of normalcy will be restored with minimal casualties/loss of life.
They will probably burn out sometime soon but not sure it will be a stroke of genius. Preventable loss of life will have occurred because of the disruption of the police and medical response times but that is not important. There will be a loss of revenue and businesses will not be able to recover but that is not important. This may end up well but it was not without cost, just not to the rich spoiled people outside the area who get to go on with life as usual.

Hoping that something turns out well is not the same as leadership. The Mayor abdicated her control over to the mob and should go ahead and resign. The mob will determine how things turn out and she is just a waste of a salary. I actually trust the people to do a better job than her but she will claim credit for whatever gets her likes from her progressive allies.

They will probably burn out sometime soon but not sure it will be a stroke of genius. Preventable loss of life will have occurred because of the disruption of the police and medical response times but that is not important. There will be a loss of revenue and businesses will not be able to recover but that is not important. This may end up well but it was not without cost, just not to the rich spoiled people outside the area who get to go on with life as usual.

Hoping that something turns out well is not the same as leadership. The Mayor abdicated her control over to the mob and should go ahead and resign. The mob will determine how things turn out and she is just a waste of a salary. I actually trust the people to do a better job than her but she will claim credit for whatever gets her likes from her progressive allies.

Some businesses are open in the CHAZ. The grocery store on my cousin's block is open. She's bought produce from there a handful of times.

Reactions: kenews

I bet the business owners In Chaz see their situation as something other than a masterful stroke of leadership. But you haven’t cared about people making a living for months.

Some businesses are open in the CHAZ. The grocery store on my cousin's block is open. She's bought produce from there a handful of times.
Open and business is not always the same thing. How much revenue will be lost will be important because they may not be able to get Fed money and the city will be broke. Not a lot business going on inside the zone but it might pick up. The thing is if you are going to let the people run the show why do you need a mayor?

Also how much will it take for clean up and payments to get rid of the mess that will be left behind? Large homeless sectors are just not good for the city. What is the settlement you are going to agree on our is the protests just a way to let people party at businesses expense? Not sure that would fly in Auburn but we are such a little town we can't really quarantine off a business sector and not hurt businesses.

Reactions: southern gent
Open and business is not always the same thing. How much revenue will be lost will be important because they may not be able to get Fed money and the city will be broke. Not a lot business going on inside the zone but it might pick up. The thing is if you are going to let the people run the show why do you need a mayor?

Also how much will it take for clean up and payments to get rid of the mess that will be left behind? Large homeless sectors are just not good for the city. What is the settlement you are going to agree on our is the protests just a way to let people party at businesses expense? Not sure that would fly in Auburn but we are such a little town we can't really quarantine off a business sector and not hurt businesses.

Nobody said this is optimal. It's going to ultimately prove futile. But the decision was made to de-escalate and let it play out.

There is much disinformation being passed about this scenario, which should surprise nobody, but people eat it up nonetheless.

Nobody said this is optimal. It's going to ultimately prove futile. But the decision was made to de-escalate and let it play out.

There is much disinformation being passed about this scenario, which should surprise nobody, but people eat it up nonetheless.

I have no skin in the game. Not my city and if they want to do this they can. Nothing really wrong with it, but my experience tells me this is not good. If you give in to the "protesters" they just get bolder the next time. All people want to be free and live their life as they see fit. Problem is if you are going to have laws enforce them or get rid of them. This willy nilly stuff because of how hard it might be to enforce at the time is crap.

Good luck to them and I hope both sides are happy and move forward productively afterwards.

A group of thugs took over part of a liberal city, is that disinformation?

I have no skin in the game. Not my city and if they want to do this they can. Nothing really wrong with it, but my experience tells me this is not good. If you give in to the "protesters" they just get bolder the next time. All people want to be free and live their life as they see fit. Problem is if you are going to have laws enforce them or get rid of them. This willy nilly stuff because of how hard it might be to enforce at the time is crap.

Good luck to them and I hope both sides are happy and move forward productively afterwards.

All things in context. What folks don't seem to grasp is that the Floyd killing set off fires that had been smoldering on many different fronts, not just the BLM movement. All of this has been coming for some time. Sure, they can go in and take these folks out, but this is different than storming a cabin in the woods, or even the Branch Davidian compound, both of which ended up looking like total fiascos and overreach for the government. This will play itself out soon. The anger in the country, however, will not.

Wow...

All things in context. What folks don't seem to grasp is that the Floyd killing set off fires that had been smoldering on many different fronts, not just the BLM movement. All of this has been coming for some time. Sure, they can go in and take these folks out, but this is different than storming a cabin in the woods, or even the Branch Davidian compound, both of which ended up looking like total fiascos and overreach for the government. This will play itself out soon. The anger in the country, however, will not.

That will not happen until BLM goes away along with other race based organizations. The fact is they want to put all blacks in one category and it just doesn't work that way. When they say we it is based on race and they assume they got the authority to do things because they represent the whole race. LeBron James and his family have a totally different set of needs than George Floyd did. I

f you take the outrage of the murder of Floyd because you are black as they did this to your race, you have to take responsibility for every action that a black person does during looting. It is not good to bounce back and forth because nothing gets done because it is nonsense. We need economic and educational reform for our poor communities and that will not happen if we focus on race to get power. Just not possible because no matter what happens your race won't change.

You cannot be serious with this ridiculous shit. I have a niece and nephew there, and they aren’t telling me anything close to what you are saying. At all.....

I bet the business owners In Chaz see their situation as something other than a masterful stroke of leadership. But you haven’t cared about people making a living for months.

tenor.gif

Realistically, you're right. People would rather the government go in and just shoot everyone solely to make a point. Remember, this country hated MLK in his day. The you-know-who's never like change that doesn't happen on their own terms.

I'm going to have to be honest here. And I mean this with all sincerity.

Bassman is giving you a run for your money on who exactly is the most full of shit.

You need to up your game or risk losing some number 1 votes.
I did not reply to that post because I doubt the poster was even around in those days. The stupidity of his remark is also evident in all of the protesters who have been shot since this began. Moving them out does not mean shoot them, letting them stay does not mean all is great.

Realistically, you're right. People would rather the government go in and just shoot everyone solely to make a point. Remember, this country hated MLK in his day. The you-know-who's never like change that doesn't happen on their own terms.
Good heavens, dude. Do you think there may be a landing spot somewhere between allowing a part of your city to be barricaded off and controlled by an armed group who stop and frisk whomever they see fit and who demand protection money from businesses and the government going in and “just shooting everybody”?
This is the second time in a few days I’ve seen you attempt to discount something because of who said it. I’ve never Once read a Breitbart article so I have no dog in that fight, but I’m reasonable enough to not discount actual photos and video that I can see with my own eyes just because I don’t like who shared them.

Good heavens, dude. Do you think there may be a landing spot somewhere between allowing a part of your city to be barricaded off and controlled by an armed group who stop and frisk whomever they see fit and who demand protection money from businesses and the government going in and “just shooting everybody”?
This is the second time in a few days I’ve seen you attempt to discount something because of who said it. I’ve never Once read a Breitbart article so I have no dog in that fight, but I’m reasonable enough to not discount actual photos and video that I can see with my own eyes just because I don’t like who shared them.
Are you reasonable enough to listen to the actual account from a resident living in the immediate area? Because if you are, you'd realize your conception of the situation is likely wrong; and that the media has received you.

No, I'm not a delicate snowflake. I don't have anyone on ignore. Not a soul.

How on earth can you learn anything if you only listen to opinions like your own? I don't understand blocking people on this board, period.
My apologies. I love your way of thinking. Do my best to practice it as well. Being “uncomfortable” with thought and ideas makes us better.

ADVERTISEMENT